Rick Ferrucci

Transmission filter change

Rick Ferrucci

Hello,

I want to change the transmission filter on  my GT 14.  I’ve had the tractor for six years and haven’t changed it yet because I only use this tractor to plow snow. I’ve put maybe 50 or 60 hours on it. How often should the filter be changed? Should the fluid be changed as well? Also, what is the capacity? Thank you for your response.  Rick 

Edited by Rick Ferrucci
one more question

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:   If it has only been 50 to 60 hours of operation since a fluid and filter change and the transmission has not been overheated you could probably get by. But, even though the manual calls for changing fluid and filter every 100 hours, for less than $ 50,00 you can rest assured that you have done your best to protect your investment, so I would change the fluid and filter.

First step is to know what fluid is in the transmission. Pull the dip stick and place the bottom on a clean white rag, If the fluid is red/pink it is ATF, if it is amber then it is 10 W 30. 

To drain the fluid you should jack up the front of the tractor for complete draining. One gallon should refill it and a NAPA 1410 filter will be the correct filter. 

387e5950-58ec-405d-afdf-e3511b4334ab_1.54cf90a5804445acb858deeec41c3611.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

Edited by 953 nut
fat finger
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor

I sounds like you never changed the fluid or filter, the time to change it is the day you bring it home.

• Like 2

squonk

I change my c-160 oil and filter every year right after the big show. Prolly around 50 hrs on it every time .

• Like 1

peter lena

as a millwright , i was regularly called on to rebuild and replace gear and drive units, i regularly saw oil and grease that had "  flashed over "  to liquid mud failure. its amazing to me to think that you might want to " wear out " any oil or grease before you replace it. AGREE WITH LYNNMOR ON BASE LINE STARTING POINT  OIL DRAINAGE, after that i would regularly drop oils after getting it hot and take advantage of its flushing / draining usage. hope you step up your lubrication refresh , its simple to make your horse live on , pete

Rick Ferrucci

I never did change the fluid or filter. It was brand new when I bought it. The guy I bought it from did all the tune up and fluid changes