lynnmor

Oil Change Eaton 1100

lynnmor

I have read on here that someone leaves the filter off while adding oil to relieve the air.  I tried that today and the oil started in OK, but then it started pouring from the open filter mount.  My question is; will that oil stop flowing at some point and is it just remaining old oil?  If it is old oil being pushed by air that is a good thing but I stopped before too much was lost.

WHX??

I was always told to just leave the filter loose? I usually space out and tighten it tho and end up removing a top bolt. I wouldn't think it would be old oil that should all drain out. New filter I'm guessing?

lynnmor

Yes, I always replace the filter with an oil change.  My thought was that the lines to the filter contain oil that isn't drained and adding oil would cause a slight pressure as it fills pushing the line oil out.  The next time I do this, I'll pour till the oil stops or waste enough that I am sure that new oil is flowing out.  I don't like removing the top bolt because there is a very good chance of getting debris inside.

When I changed the transmission oil on one tractor, I used Castrol 10-30 high mileage synthetic blend instead of regular Castrol 10-30.  I noticed that the transmission responded much better, so I did the same with the next one and had the same result. 

pfrederi

Interesting I changed my 418A (my only eaton) to Mobil 1 from regular oil.  Didn't see any appreciable change in performance and it still takes for ever for the lift to start working....

• Like 1

WHX??

One of my three 520's it takes a long time for the lift to start working. Colder out the worse it is. When kept inside the shop it always lifts immediately. Thinking maybe try 5w next change but this particular tractor always had a loud whine to the hydro pump.  When it sits out cold and when the pump kicks in and it often nubs the motor out at 1/4 throttle or less. Whines real loud then but subsides some as the oil warms. Charge pump maybe on it's way out but drive is still strong. I do have a spare transmission on hot stand by if it does. 

Couple of the fellas here say synthetic Mob1  so that is all I have ever used so don't know if a difference or not … I'll take your word for it there is. 

Its been also said here to use a filter with a check valve in it and the Toro ones do? NAPA/WIX 1410's here. 

Edited by WHX24

WHX??
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

good chance of getting debris inside.

good point, one of my better habits is always cleaning around fillers and such.