Burnerman

My sons Commando V

Burnerman

So against my better judgement my son brings home a Commando V7 home from the scrapyard.  We found out all the idlers in the drivebelt system are shot and that parts for this tractor are near impossible to get. He has the idlers and drive belt ordered from a local shop that found some info. 
 In the meantime we got the original 7 hp Tecumseh running. It runs like crap and has a nasty knock. Need to repower. 
 I know where to get a 24hp v twin B&S for free. 
 Well we’re modifying it as little as possible and it’s going to be a cool little obnoxious thing to play with😂😁😁 

B8BCF9C2-490A-4552-868F-ACFB7133671D.jpeg

A6164964-8303-4D5E-969E-58668FA0E70C.jpeg

33995EAA-AC96-4998-B77B-F7C2F2F1E9E4.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

:auto-layrubber:

:D

• Haha 1

Burnerman

I figured I’d start a new thread for him. He forgot his login.😂 

We’re going to foot throttle it and leave it loud. I can’t wait to see it move. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

No deck needed, just @Burnerman the grass!

• Haha 4

edgro

That makes me think of back when guys would put a V8 in a Chevy Vega

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Burnerman

It’s very ridiculous.  It really is a Binfordized WH. Lol. 
The throttle system is getting tricky. For what this is getting used for it needs a foot throttle. It’s just going to be a fun loud thing to ride around. Thing is, the choke is integrated with the throttle. WOT and the choke gets “tripped” on. To get the choke off you need to push on the linkage cable, hard. Both the choke and throttle have return springs on the carb shaft in addition to the heavy spring tension spring against the governor. The way the throttle cable links into the choke it’s the same principe as a weak chain binder. It kinda locks the choke on and puts a lil less tension on governor.  We don’t want to bypass the governor so We have to separate the choke and put a stop at WOT that I can set the top end RPM at. 

Edited by Burnerman
  • Like 2

Burnerman

He got the new pulleys and belt. Driveline is back together and adjusted. He also picked up a key switch and rewired the tractor. I was able to tweak the throttle linkage and by bending the choke tab back the other way it becomes a stop at WOT. I connected a cable to actuate the choke separately. Just have to get a foot throttle connected and he can take it for a test drive. 

• Like 3

Pullstart

I vote for some rear ballast... and “Little Red Wagon” the thing for about 1/4 mile...  

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

tom2p

1/4 mile ... why not 145 miles ?

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Burnerman

We finally got a foot throttle hooked up and he made a new wire harness for the new key switch. It runs and charges and has a fuse now.

Next is the exhaust and welding up the hood modifications. 
not sure if the video load. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Great to hear of the progress.

I can't open/download videos to my phone (takes up too much space)  so I don't know if that worked...

YouTube is your friend.

:lol:

Sparky

Nice and loud!
 Are you staying with stock diameter pulleys? Or changing things up for a wee bit more speed?

Burnerman

Right now it’s got the stock pulleys on it. We may try a smaller trans pulley but we’re not sure how much this oddball 3 spd trans will take. There’s not a lot of room to mess with under the frame. The front engine pulley just clears the steering as it is now so we can’t increase that any.  
Eric, I’ll see if I can get them on YouTube for ya!

• Thanks 1

Burnerman

Eric, 

• Excellent 1

Burnerman

Been busy with all kinds of stuff. Haven’t posted in a while so figured I’d update. 
The road speed just didn’t match the sound of this thing. So we need to speed it up. You can’t put a bigger engine pulley  on it due to the steering. So we are shrinking the transmission pulley. It may be too small but they’re fairly cheap. Lol The old trans pulley didn’t want to come off, and there’s no way to get a normal puller on it. So I got inventive. Big Zip ties worked perfect! 895B137F-6DBD-4E8E-AA5F-0285A9B327FA.jpeg.667990eaaab12a45d097d74f71cbf886.jpeg72364794-DA9C-4650-8F62-26DF25522FF1.jpeg.0a9f90d72e738dc31828577dbc0a7676.jpeg1AFCC155-B6A3-40EE-80A7-BA6BF82A90CB.jpeg.7a88f3ca5c72f99a388f76a86a6a7f83.jpeg5842429E-CDC1-46E1-8B38-E14F0B4D10AD.jpeg.79bdde36e2d3ed42212054b15eec32ca.jpegB57C92FA-892F-4FA2-8BF0-70649C99D53C.jpeg.7a2800ee05241290c25baef26552f06a.jpeg59B56900-B4B7-451B-99CD-1821178769B4.jpeg.68a0591898da08b995e1366c286cec7b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Burnerman said:

I got inventive. Big Zip ties worked perfect

Nice thinking!!!!

Pullstart

Yep.  Genius move right there!

Burnerman

Got a 3” pulley on it and now it’ll go 8mph according to Waze. 

We’re trying to get the 2” trans pulley to work. Gotta pickup a 68” belt. 
  • Like 3

Pullstart

Could you put a taller tire on too?  Sounds so good!

Burnerman
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

Could you put a taller tire on too?  Sounds so good!

Didn’t think about that. Haha. 

• Thanks 1