Hughes Small Engine

520H no spark...no idea about the wiring

gwest_ca
On 12/19/2019 at 7:51 PM, Jerry.Guzzi said:

I'd like to wire my 1997 Classic  520 H like an older model. I don't need a tach, or gas gauge or head heat censers. Right now though, I'm trying to find wiring for my 417a I changed to 520H.

Garry

nycredneck

I have a 1988 518H which I'm assuming is the same as the 520. With no spark my investigation found a semi melted coil. After replacing the coil and still no spark I found this thread which I hope will solve my issues. I purchased a new ONAN ignition module I found for $170.00 on eBay. If all goes well my tractor should be running soon... fingers crossed. It was difficult finding the proper wiring of the coil/module and seemed funny that the way it was originally wired is different than what I am being told here although I will be following what I learned here. Thanks to the members who provided all this valuable information because my local Toro dealer told me to junk my machine. :snooty:

953 nut
6 hours ago, nycredneck said:

Toro dealer told me to junk my machine.

:angry-tappingfoot:             get away from them, they are crazy people.    :soapbox:          :WRS:            Locate your tractor in the Demystification Guide and it will show you each function of youe electrical system. Things change from year to year and model to model. 

nycredneck

Well I now have spark because I had installed the new ignition module upside down. My 2 new issues' are timing and coil gets real hot.

gwest_ca

Tractor wiring diagram in the operator manual.

You may need to go to the Onan service manual to see the engine wiring and a link is in the information page.

Click on the picture.

Garry

lynnmor
5 hours ago, nycredneck said:

My 2 new issues' are timing and coil gets real hot.

There is no timing adjustment.   Coil may be getting hot if you wired the AC wires that come up from the stator to it.

nycredneck

Thanks lynnmor, I could not figure out how to adjust timing but saw timing marks on casing. The flywheel is keyed and everything else in immovable . My stator wires are going to what I assume is voltage regulator, there are three connections to that and none of which I wired to coil. ( Is there a way to check the V regulator? ) I am pretty sure coil is wired correct as follows... Hot lead from ignition switch, condenser, red wire from module all go to + side of coil, that's three wires to positive of coil. Next I have the black wire from module to - side of coil, just that one wire to neg side of coil. I will continue to crank it more tomorrow and check things as I go. I've fixed many an engine but not this one so slowly I proceed as it is a very sentimental tractor and I am one stubborn SOB.

lynnmor

The stator wires go to the outside terminals of the regulator.  Using an AC voltmeter, you should get about 21 to 41 volts AC  depending on engine RPM.

nycredneck

Thanks, I will read voltage still regulator and if I remember correctly outside terminals with one terminal doubled up with two wires plus a wire on middle terminal. I already had the service and will look at other one thanks.