Pullstart

Damascus Knives

Pullstart

I recently realized after watching a 1000 layer Damascus challenge from a blacksmith’s YouTube channel that I was given just that... a Damascus knife.  It was handed down from a deceased distant cousin I believe.  I can’t believe how much longer it keeps an edge in the kitchen trimming all this venison for the past few days.  Yes, I’m slow at most projects... even cutting up a deer.

Does anyone else have experience with this type of knife?

777FA603-ABB1-4735-975E-05E91100B1D2.jpeg.1058f5f3d85e3bbebfe22c9af062cd10.jpeg

8BE37274-15A1-45D0-AB1D-57980EE6F0C1.jpeg.70e446ad89ab79c77a7f10f0a99e9495.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart

If you can navigate around the 100 ads, this is a pretty good read about Damascus steel too.  It makes me wish I had a blacksmith’s oven(I’m sure that’s the wrong terminology).

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/09/29/science/the-mystery-of-damascus-steel-appears-solved.html

Darb1964

I have not had the pleasure of owning or using a Damascus knife,I have wanted one for year's. I have head they hold a very good edge.but chip or can snap if abused. I have cut up many deer over the years and it is good to take your time in the end. Venison is incredible, deer fat not so much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ZXT

I am lucky enough to own a Damascus knife. The knife was made by Ray Johnson, who was a blade smith at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO. My father purchased it for me when we were up there on vacation 10-11 years ago. It is an excellent knife, but I have never used it much. I know I should, but I'm afraid of damaging a knife that cannot be replicated now that Ray has passed on. On top of that, it wasn't cheap!

He told me that if I used and treated it correctly, it would be a useful tool that could be passed down for generations. I don't doubt that a bit. 

Here are a few pics: 

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Darb1964

That knife is cool, I like!

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Very cool thread and videos...I had no idea...8-9 hours for one blade stock! Not even the sharpened product!!! Wow!

Savor that venison!!!

• Like 1