12Horse Paladin

Fluid help needed

12Horse Paladin

From my reading and limited understanding, i am trying figure out what fluid and howmuch to use to replace what is currently in my transmission of my 71 Bronco 14 automatic. I tried asking PO what was used; he was not very clear; less than helpful. Ive read about Atf or possibly 10w30 oil, but as yet am unsure...i kno what was recommended to be used was changed by WH over the yrs. I plan to call Feldmann (old WH dealer that will still service them) today to get their thoughts, but wanted to ask here because many of you have had results with whatever you use for years...

Itd b great if it was 10w30 oil; then i could just use whatever brand i end up using for the motor, as well, as that was the weight i was going to put in, as well, unless 5w30 was a better choice there (is the weight i run in my snowblowers, as well)...

Thanks for your thoughts and inpur.

Edited by 12Horse Paladin

953 nut
28 minutes ago, 12Horse Paladin said:

what fluid and howmuch to use to replace what is currently in my transmission of my 71 Bronco 14 automatic.

Your Sundstrand may have ATF or 10W30. Have a clean white rag with you, remove the dip stick and look at the color of the fluid on the white rag. If it is pink/red you need to use ATF (Dex/Merc), if it is amber/clear you need 10W30 motor oil.

You should also replace the filter (NAPA 1410) and be sure to jack up the front end to ensure complete draining. Four to five quarts will be needed to replenish the fluid.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

@12Horse Paladin Richard will steer you in the right direction!  

Achto
2 hours ago, 12Horse Paladin said:

Itd b great if it was 10w30 oil; then i could just use whatever brand i end up using for the motor

10w30 will be fine in the engine for winter and it will make cold starting easier, come summer time I would switch to strait 30w oil in the engine.

• Like 1