Mudrig150

M18 coil test

Mudrig150

So, I have to test my M18 coil, because I'm unsure if it's bad or not. I have a procedure here, but not sure its right.

Disconnect the kill wire from the coil, and the plug wire from the spark plug.

OHM from the kill wire terminal to the coil frame. You should get about 4 OHMs.

OHM from the plug wire to the coil frame. You should get about 230-290 OHMs.

Is this about right?

gwest_ca

Does not look correct to me.

Starts on page 8.1

Locations C and D identified in illustration 8-1

Garry

• Like 1

Mudrig150

Did the test... Got 0 resistance. Although, my testers might be bad. Both have the battery light on and say no resistance across even touching the wires together. And of course, the batteries are a stupid kind, and are pretty much impossible to find.

BESTDOGEVER

Simple test is to pull kill wire install a spark tester crank the engine if no spark you probably got a flash of 12 volt thru the kill wire and the  module is gone.  The live voltage is usually the result of a bad ignition switch. Replacement can be found on  Ebay or Amazon for a more reasonable price than dealer price 

• Like 1

ZXT
On 12/19/2019 at 10:55 AM, Mudrig150 said:

Did the test... Got 0 resistance. Although, my testers might be bad. Both have the battery light on and say no resistance across even touching the wires together. And of course, the batteries are a stupid kind, and are pretty much impossible to find.

Did the meter show "0.00" or did it show "1" or "0L"? 0.00 would be a complete circuit and the other two would indicate an open circuit, or infinite resistance. Either would indicate a problem with the coil, or the meter itself.

I've never seen a battery of the "stupid" variety, so I can't help you there. Generally DVOM's have 9v, AA's or button cell batteries.. all of which are readily available and easy to replace. 

Mudrig150

Well, after further inspection of the coil, it's broke. The body is cracked and it's broke off the U bracket. Found the bag for it, it's a 30$ coil, so it doesn't surprise me. Time for a new coil...

Edited by Mudrig150

BESTDOGEVER

I found mine on Ebay for about 95 dollars it's a oem Kohler that's about 1/2 price from a dealer there are a few online from 30 dollars to 120 I took the oem one because the others didn't have really good reviews 

Mudrig150

I know Kohler sells a new coil for 119$ on Amazon, seems to have good reviews. Somehow it isn't Amazon recommended, some crappy 50$ coil is. 

BESTDOGEVER

Their recommendation is based on what they make the most money on

• Like 1

Mudrig150

Ended up buying the 119$ coil. The 30-50$ coils all had less than great reviews. The 119$ coil was recommended by Kohler, so it should be good.

New coil has the magnets fixed, old one they're broken off. The plastic coil body and the windings are seperated from the posts. New one has MUCH more magnet strength. The old one isn't very strong.

Seems like it's good, so far, at least.