Sign in to follow this  
JT33

414 wheel horse tractor won’t go up hill

JT33

This tractor won’t go up an incline with or without the mower engaged. Would this be a stretched drive belt or something else?

peter lena

probably a drive belt related issue, like a weak return spring ,holding the belt tension. if you were to remove the lower level belt guard next to right side foot pad that would give you the best examination view . the belt drive is very basic and very stout, i would look after belt tension problem , pete

• Like 1

pfrederi

Could be belt but more likely is a sheared axle key. On both sides put a mark on the end of the axle and a match marks on the wheel hub.  Then drive around up hill see if the marks stay in line.  If one shifts you will have to pull eh whee and hub and inspect the key/keyway.

• Like 2

wallfish

:WRS:

Typically you would notice if it's a slipping belt but it's certainly possible. I'm with Paul on guessing it's a sheared key so you can use his method to quickly check that.

More information would help with internet diagnosis. Did this happen slowly over time? Did it just start to happen suddenly? I assume this is an 8 speed manual trans and not a hydro? Did it used to lurch when shifting from forward gears to reverse or vise versa? ect. ect. Anything else you can add for symptoms?

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

Im with all the above !

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

:wwp:

Skwerl58

Had my 414 tractor do this and it had sheared the roll pin on the clutch linkage at the tranny. It happened when pushing snow so I used a round concrete nail until I could get a replacement.

• Like 3

peter lena

it pays to regularly check over your horse, best thing about this is that it appears to be a easy fix. chances are your local h/w store has a small parts pull out drawer section with your pin in it . or related  part. also a good time to go over entire drive set up, plan on replacing other rusted or worn parts . found an idler pulley that was worn and wobbly , found a same size pulley with double the bearing size , made engagement very smooth and solid . keep it going , pete 

• Like 2