Sign in to follow this  
W9JAB

My 857 Story

W9JAB

I didn't really have any idea what a wheel Horse was, until I owned one. I'm a ham radio operator, (like C.B. but worldwide and more rules and regulation). Anyhow one day while driving to work a guy got on the radio and asked if anyone was interested in an old garden tractor, for free. I got on the radio and told him I would stop by and take a look.

When I got over to his home he had this faded red tractor, with chains on the rear wheels and a snow plow attached. He told me he was tired of bumping into it and scratching his car, he only used it for cleaning the drive in the winter, and did not want to bother buying a new battery for it, Just wanted rid of it.

I told him I would need a few days to get a truck, to get it out to my place. Over the next few days I started thinking about this "free" tractor, gloom and doom started coming over me. What if this thing is a big hunk of junk ? How will I be able to get rid of the thing? and how can I get parts for a 30 year old tractor?

Well I decided to take a chance and dragged it back to the ranch, The guy told me that it was his wife's tractor, that her dad bought it for her when she was sixteen to cut the grass and it had to have and electric start so she could use it. He said he would dig out the mower deck for it also. I took off the plow and chains as he found the deck and loaded the whole mess in the truck. Once back home I off loaded it and hooked up the battery charger, then checked the motor oil or should I say motor muck, look like it had not been changed since 1970. I fired it up and I'll be dammed it ran, now totally pumped I took her for a few laps around the yard.

I was immediately impressed with the torque the little one lung Kohler produced, and the top speed as well. Into the garage it went to learn it's secrets.

I started pulling off wheels to look at the bearings and axels, got out the grease gun and hit all the fittings, As I got into it, everything looked like new no ware on anything that I could find. I flushed the engine, trans, and rear end and filled with new fluids.

Now the problem of parts was still rattling around in my head so I got on the net and to my surprise I found groups like this one, that people collect and restore the things, also that parts can be had from my Toro dealer (oh yea I got the original parts and owner's manuals with it, original sales receipt and some advertising pamphlets) if I could give them a part number.

I was able to get a new set of mower blades, air filters, muffler, etc. Now I never had a tractor before so I started comparing what I had to what was on the market today, The Wheel Horse has a I beam frame, not a stamped deck, a real automotive rear end and gear box, not a cast pot metal trans with some Chaotic belt and pulley system, Also it has larger and wider wheels than anything I see in the same class (homeowners) which is much easier on the lawn than a small skinny tire, let me not forget the one item on the Wheel Horse so politically incorrect that no manufacture would consider putting on a vehicle to day, the cigar lighter! And so far any repair items had been small parts, stocked at the hardware store, not costly O.E.M. stuff. The more I learned about this Wheel Horse the more I was elated by my luck in scoring this prize.

kajamo240

:omg:

Very nice! I acquired a B-80 when my wife and I moved out to the country. The father in law gave it to us when we moved since we didn't have a lawn mower.

After a couple years, I realized that there was a difference between a riding lawn mower and a garden tractor. I then started looking into what possibilities there were for this beast of a machine. Needless to say, I found this wonderful group of people and they have been extremely helpful ever since!

I have since purchased a snow/dozer blade for it and I am currently looking for other attachments for this bad boy!

This is a great resource for all of your Wheel Horse needs. Congrats on your find and enjoy it!

Again, :drool:

Eriks Red horse herd

:omg: Hey RamRod69-what you don't realize is that coming on a find like that and finding out about all the good things that Wheel Horse has, is that an unsuspecting thing has happened! you've been given a little infection and it spreads like WILD FIRE its called the Wheel Horse bug. Pretty soon you'll want more and the problem is you can't STOP!!

Hurry save your self before its to late!!!! Keep calling on all here to help and and well do our darnd'est to help feed the need.

ENJOY!!! and :drool:

Duff

Hi, 69Ramrod69, and :drool: !

Great story about how you came into your tractor - thanks for sharing! And like the boys said, beware - you've now got the "bug." It may not have created the dreaded (and beloved) fever yet, but it will, mark our words! :(

Glad to have you aboard, and around here :drool: !

Duff :omg:

gwgdog66

:drool: :omg:

HorseFixer

:drool: and Great story! By the way that was my first tractor also! :omg: But for some reason I upgraded to a bunch "O" roundhoods! :drool:

8575.jpg

TJ

Mike

:omg: :drool:

W9JAB

:omg: Just for the record it's an 856 and will post some pic's soon!

WHC-125

mike_1951

:drool: alot of help is to be had from all the great members on here :omg:

Coadster32

:drool: Thanks for the story. :omg:

W9JAB

Well let' see how adding some Pix,s goes!

wheelhorse010.jpg

TJ

Practice makes perfect. :thumbs2:

Bill

:thumbs2: And a Great Story, thanx for sharing it

CasualObserver

ramrod I fixed your picture. You need to copy and paste the IMG code from the box at photobucket, I think you used one of the other codes.

Looks like a happy owner and a great old machine!

W9JAB

:thumbs2: Jason thankx for the pix repair job, I'll work on it. :thumbs:

W9JAB
wheelhorse009.jpg

W9JAB

Note custom beer holder!

wheelhorse008.jpg

TJ

Practice makes perfect. :thumbs2:

Nice tractor, and good job posting the pictures.

It took me three days to figure it out (literally). :thumbs:

HorseFixer

The custom Beer Holder makes the whole thing! :thumbs: A Lawnmowing -N- Beer are made for each other! :thumbs2:

Suburban 550

Great story and nice tractor. :thumbs: The custom beer holder really makes it. :thumbs2:

gwgdog66

Sweet :thumbs2: