Sign in to follow this  
Just Piddling

Charging problem?

Just Piddling

First of all, I really love this tractor. I like the simplicity and design better than the 520 I had. I have spent about $100 (seat, drive belt, plug, fluids and filters) and it now pulls and runs great.

There is a problem in the electrical system. I hope I just need to charge the battery, but I have searched and found on another post that at ~4000 rpms I should have 20v a/c out of the generator and 14v d/c to the battery.

I am getting 11v a/c out of the gen and 14v d/c to the battery. I did not disconnect any wires to get these readings.

I now use a jump starter to start, and saturday I airreated (?) for about a hour. It cranked back up after about 15 minutes at rest, although a little sluggish. I tried again in about 2 hours, and could not even get a full revolution.

I have noticed since I have got it that it was getting more and more sluggish to start, but I was not running for any amount of time and just at idle.

Could the battery just be discharged and just needs a good external charging?

Could the regulator have been adjusted to give the apparent 14v with no capacity to actually charge the battery? If so, what repairs can be made to the starter/gen?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for everyones help.

Bow_Extreme

Well, I don't know much about the Commando but it sounds like you've measured voltage and found that the tractor isn't producing the charge that it needs. It sounds as if your starter generator needs to be rebuilt. Pull your battery off and charge it for at least 12 hours. Take it in and have it tested at one of your local autoparts stores. At least you can eliminate the battery from the equation. My thoughts are still at your starter generator. I'm guessing it's also posible to take your starter generator in and have it tested as well although I'm not sure if they can mount it up to run it.

ol550

If your tractor has a starter generator you do not have AC voltage. A quick test for charging with the starter generator system is to hook up a test light between the battery positive and the generator output terminal ( that is the post that the heavier start wire is attached to) turn on the key the light should light. The light should go off when the engine is running. This will let you know the generator will charge. A DC volts check across the battery terminals will let you know if the regulator is working properly. What I normally see is 13 to 13.5 volts at full throttle, have seen as much as 14 but not very often. :drool: Mike

My bet is that your battery has had it.

I don't know if it is true or not with the starter generator but years back it was said if a generator will motor, it should charge. :omg:

Just Piddling

Thanks for the input

Bow- Those spec numbers are from the Kohler manual, which list about 4 different charging systems. That is what is throwing me. I could be looking at the wrong one.

ol550- Same as above. With moderate rpms, I am getting between 13-13.8v. I really have to open it up to get to 14. That makes since about the motor should generate, as a pump can motor and a motor can generate depending on what is being input.

Thanks

clintonnut

One thing I do a lot is pop the caps off the top of the battery and make sure the fluid is covering the plates. If it isn't then pour water into the battery until the plates are covered with a 1/4" of water. It really makes a difference. Also this is hard to explain but there is a set of contacts on the voltage regulator when you take the cap off the regulator. Take the screw that is holding the spring and tighten it about an 1/8 of a turn. Then look at the amp meter and see what it reads.

Charlie

Buzz

How old is your battery? If it's putting out 13- 13.8 V at mid throttle I'd say your system is charging okay. I wouldn't mess with the voltage regulator, if you crank it up too much you can overcharge and ruin a good battery. Wouldn't hurt to clean and tighten all your connections in the charging system. Also check the condition and tension of your starter/generator belt. If you have another tractor with the same size battery that you know is good, swap them for awhile and see how it does.

Just Piddling

Thanks everyone, I have it on a trickle charge now. When I get home tomorrow, I am going to pull it out and have it load tested.

I have spent all evening trying to swap the deck shell. That is a whole other post in its self. :omg: