Mudrig150

Can anyone help?

Mudrig150

I'm looking to get my K241 bored out to a K301. It's got some issues, and doesn't have enough compression to run. Looks to have been bored out with the wrong piston put in. I would rather rebuild this motor then the K321 because the K241 has a brand new carb (we only have one other engine that uses a 26mm) and I already know most of the parts are good. The crank and rod from the K321 are good, so I'll use them for the build. I will reassemble and everything, the only thing that I can't do is bore it out.

I'm in Monongahela PA.

Shynon

Unless you have a K301 block you won't be able to bore to a K241 to a K301 cylinder walls will be awful thin. Stroke of a K321 is longer than a K241 this will not work, also the K321 crank is weighted for a K321.  Download the kohler manual and look at the specs. 

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, Shynon said:

Unless you have a K301 block you won't be able to bore to a K241 to a K301 cylinder walls will be awful thin. Stroke of a K321 is longer than a K241 this will not work, also the K321 crank is weighted for a K321.  Download the kohler manual and look at the specs. 

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

ZXT

Mudrig - I think you're probably making this more complicated than it should be. Do you own a set of micrometers or calipers? If you don't, get some. You are going to need to be able to measure the crank to see if it is in spec, and it will also tell you exactly what you have as far as bore size and piston size.

In addition to the crank being weighted wrong, it'll hit the block. You'd have to cut on the counterweights to make it clear - putting it further out of balance.  

What is wrong with your K321? Would it build? Carburetors are $13 on ebay. I wouldn't build an engine around a carb. 

Mudrig150

The K241 IS a K301 block, it says it right above the PTO side of the crank.. Kohler used a K301 block, bored undersize for the K241. The cranks for a K321 and K301 are the exact same, with the same part number. 

Mudrig150
8 minutes ago, ZXT said:

What is wrong with your K321? Would it build? Carburetors are $13 on ebay. I wouldn't build an engine around a carb. 

Well, knowing that it threw 2 rods, its condition is...questionable. the bore is in spec but the cross hatching is horribly wrong.

ZXT
12 minutes ago, Mudrig150 said:

The K241 IS a K301 block, it says it right above the PTO side of the crank.. Kohler used a K301 block, bored undersize for the K241. The cranks for a K321 and K301 are the exact same, with the same part number. 

Sorry - I didn't know that your block was that way. Not all of them are. In that case, the cylinder wall should be plenty thick to bore to K301 spec. All you'll need is a piston. 

3 minutes ago, Mudrig150 said:

Well, knowing that it threw 2 rods, its condition is...questionable. the bore is in spec but the cross hatching is horribly wrong.

You should be able to visually inspect the bottom half of the block to see if it is damaged badly enough to keep it from being a viable builder. Was this crank that you're planning to use in service when it threw either of those two rods? If it is, it's quite possible that it damaged the rod journal. Just food for thought.

Shynon
27 minutes ago, Mudrig150 said:

Ok you have a K301 block, the crank on a K301 has some of it removed to balance out the weight of a 12hp rod and piston, a k321 crank will have holes drilled in it to remove material to balance out the weight of the rod and piston.

20191113_185715.jpg

20191113_185727.jpg

20191113_185734.jpg

20191113_185737.jpg

Edited by Shynon
  • Like 1

Mudrig150
11 hours ago, Shynon said:

Ok you have a K301 block, the crank on a K301 has some of it removed to balance out the weight of a 12hp rod and piston, a k321 crank will have holes drilled in it to remove material to balance out the weight of the rod and piston.

20191113_185715.jpg

20191113_185727.jpg

20191113_185734.jpg

20191113_185737.jpg

Hm. I'll have to see how the crank fits.