palmerdad

Snowblower problems

palmerdad

Was snowblowing this morning and she started to sound really rough but i was just about done so I kept going and then it through the chain.  When I got it back to the shop I saw that the gear box isn't lining up with the rest of the assembly.  What is going on here?  With just a top and bottom bolt I can't understand why it's deflected so much and more importantly, how to rectify it?  (And yes I had already removed the top bolt in the picture)

20191112_100643.jpg

20191112_100735.jpg

WVHillbilly520H

Is your chain tension block still under the chain (from factory it is a piece of wood bolted to angle iron) the new one from TORO is plastic (nylon) or some others have replaced it with am idler sprocket... More on your question was it as out of alignment before you removed the top bolt?  A sloppy loose and rusted chain could have just pulled everything put of alignment before it jumped off.

• Like 1

palmerdad

The tension block was replaced 2 seasons ago (nylon) and is still there.  Worn into a bit.  I don't remember it being this out of alignment.  And even when I put a piece of metal plate down to shim it and improve the angle the teeth in the two sprockets don't line up at all.  They are offset by almost an inch.  That can't be normal is it? 

palmerdad

Well, i was able to shim the angle on the gearbox and slide the sprocket out the shaft a bit using a crowbar so that the chain lines up on both sprockets better.  Seems like it shouldn't be that easy to pull back and forth on the shaft though. 

WVHillbilly520H

I wonder if the set screw(s) have backed out on both sprockets allowing them to go out of alignment? You shouldn't be able to pry/crowbar the sprocket over the shaft... I completely rebuilt my 2stage a few years back.

ti-jean

i ad this problem befor with the nylon block chain tensioner the best replace by a roller sproket chain ;)

• Like 1

wallfish
3 hours ago, palmerdad said:

Seems like it shouldn't be that easy to pull back and forth on the shaft though. 

As WVHillbilly stated, the set screws are loose. It should not slide on the shaft.

You might want to pull that small sprocket off of the gearbox and have a look at it from the front. Mine was jumping and then actually breaking chains and it was because the teeth on that little gear were shark fin shaped from the chain slipping and wearing down the drive face of the teeth. That curve in the sprocket teeth was forcing the chain off the sprocket under load. Very hard to see just from the top of the gear but it was very noticeable when viewing the sprocket from the front. The torque of the chain being forced out of the sprocket teeth also bent the blower frame a little out of alignment for the sprockets to line up. Seems you might have the same problem but the front edge of the teeth don't appear shiney in your pics.

Changed the sprocket. ditched the wood or plastic chain tensioner and went with an idler sprocket for tension on the chain. Also tweaked everything on the frame back into alignment and it's been good to go ever since. 

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

palmerdad

Can I ask what you used for the idler sprocket and how you hooked it up?

wallfish

Removed the solid block and made some metal brackets with a spacer to hold the sprocket on to the original piece the block was bolted to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/736-IS-810-Sprocket-Idler-10-tooth-3-8-x-1-84-thick-40-41-chain/252136835235?hash=item3ab486c8a3:g:rCkAAOSwsRVb0MJ0

• Thanks 1