Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Any old dealership history?

bo dawg

Anyway to find out where there used to be some old wheelhorse dealerships back in the day? Indiana and Ohio.

:omg:

bell

Well, I know of 2...

Humphrey's outdoor power (still in business) in Greencastle, IN Started as a WH dealership in 1966 I believe.

and there was a Barber in Knightsville, IN that sold new WH tractors at his barber shop...

jusjeepn

I have 3 right close to me also! The one is now a Toro dealer, another is now simplicity and the other is an automotive repair shop! All still deal in W/H and have NOS parts still on the shelf. I'm trying to buy out the one that is now an automotive shop! There are also several in the area where I work (eastern/central Indiana)!

sorekiwi

Humphrey's outdoor power (still in business) in Greencastle, IN Started as a WH dealership in 1966 I believe.

Humphreys is great. I get all my parts from them, if its not in stock they get it for me usually within 4 or 5 days.

If you can drag Phil out if his office he'll know off the top of his head what you need, and maybe tell you stories from the old days...

HorseFixer

There is Chandlers sales & Service in South Bend, IN they were located right next door to the orginal Wheel Horse factory on Dixie Way North later changed to U.S. 31 and now 933. and I can throw a stone and hit where the Ole plant used to be from Chandlers Parking lot. Here are some pics of what is there now which is a CVS pharmacy. The only thing left is what used to be an Ole Loading Dock. Later this summer I plan to take a Road Trip with the Horse Hauler and take some pics of a couple of my RJ tractors on that Loading Dock! :drool: Time for them to take a visit home. :omg:

PICS123.jpg

PICS120.jpg

PICS121.jpg

bo dawg

I appreciate the info, along with the history and pic's from Duke :omg:

If there's any more keep it coming! :drool:

:drool:

farmerall

There is one near me. It's Smith's Suburban Supply. Now he sells toro and honda equipment but there are some really nice old wheel horse signs he has. he even has a doormat that says welcome to wheel horse country and I would love to have one of them to put on my porch. Inside on the wall there was an old stained glass picture of the wheel horse logo and when I saw it I :omg:.

qd-16

"Motter's" in Mansfield Ohio is still in business. They have a ride-away junior about 20 feet up on a pole in front of the business. I believe the family has owned the business since about 1969. They stock a lot of parts for the old stuff and are a wealth of knowledge! Its always a learning experience when I go there for parts.

whfan74

Dad, Grandpa and Great Uncle owned a Wheel Horse Dealership in Waterford, MI for just over 30 years. The store closed it's doors about 14 years ago unfortunately.

Many of my great memories from my childhood were from being down at the store with dad and the family. I just wish dad had the money to keep the doors open. Grandpa passed away from a major heart attack during the final days of the store. He was in his early 70's and still worked 50+ hours a week until the day he died.

The store used to haul coal to a lot of the older homes in the Metro Detroit area. They then switched to fuel oil that was still being delivered until the doors closed. They mainly delivered to the older homes in the Pontiac area as well as Pine Knob and Alpine Valley ski resorts for their snow making machines.

In the store they had a line of Sherwin Williams paint.

Obviously their tractor of choice was Wheel Horse which was their mainstay. They did sell Massey Ferguson and Jacobsen's back in the late 60's and in to the 70's. They sold Toro walk behind units as well as Snapper. For blowers, trimmers, and chainsaws they primarily stuck with Stihl. They did dabble in Weed Eater and Green Machine for some of their trimming units. They sold go carts for a while as well.

The store also had a full parts room and a full service shop that employed approximately 3-4 full time mechanics.

Like I mentioned this is where some of my great memories of my childhood came from. I still remember to this day grandpa giving me a soft cloth diaper and a can of pledge and sent me out to the show room and had me polish all of the tractors. It wasn't work to me but it was a sense of pride standing back and seeing all of that pretty red shine in the show room. Of course I didn't work for much....grandpa gave me 35 cents and sent me over to the old Coke machine that had the pull out glass bottles. To me it was a day well spent.

I loved the end of the day when some of the tractors out front needed to be brought back in for the evening. I tell ya once I parked one in the show room I was on a dead sprint to get to the next one. I didn't need any help.....I would take care of it. :omg:

Of course when the store closed everything that was left was sold off and we have little left as a reminder of the good old store. I am going to work on scanning some of the old pictures so that I can keep them digitally and will share when I get a chance. What I would have given to get my hands on some of the goodies that are now long gone.

The store is still there but is now a Fuel Oil Company. The store was remodeled some but it still brings back great memories. I just wish I would have taken more of an interest when I was younger about working on them. I liked to play on them but didn't have the patience to sit and learn. Trying to make up for lost time now! Better late than never right?????

Hope I didn't bore you all too much with the long post.

Thanks for letting me share!

bo dawg

Appreciate the story Scott :omg:

:drool:

Lane Ranger

Terpstra's at 45th and Colfax in Calumet Township in Lake County Indiana near Griffith and Gary is a Toro dealer now after years of sales as a Wheel Horse dealer. They still have lots of loyal Wheel Horse owners come for service and parts.

They have a 1958 RJ with serial no.0005 on it in their showroom and they indicated to my father , a longtime customer, that they would not even sell it for $10,000.00!

bustedglass

I used to live in Joliet, Il. . Got my first horse - a 1970 Lawn Ranger with a 32" deck - at Christensens Power Supply, in Monee, Il. I traded it in in 1985 (wish I would have kept it :drool: ), for a new B211-3 with a 37" deck. I still use that little tractor to this day. It is the one shown in my avatar.

Anyway, I believe that Christensens Power Supply is still in business. At least they were when I moved away. I think that they are Toro dealers today, along with a couple of Chinese / Japanese brands :drool: .

I remember, that back in the day, Christensens had a 4 Wheel Horse setup, pulling a mini stage coach. They used to bring it to the Will County fair, and other fairs, and events. It was something to see :( .

Today, I live in Paducah, KY. . I get my parts from McAlpin's Small Engines, in Mayfield, KY. . They are a Toro dealer these days, but started out as a Wheel Horse dealership back in the early day of Wheel Horse.

It's great hearing some of the stories, glad that I could add my 2 cents worth :omg: .