Sign in to follow this  
munsonRN

Wheelhorse 417a

munsonRN

OK....well, I am getting ready to go look at a 1985ish Wheelhorse 417a. This will be my first lawn tractor if I decide to purchase it. Seller states approx 850 hours. Hydro lift and automatic tranny. Mower deck with rear discharge. Garage kept and runs well.

So, what should I look at/for in a tractor like this. Things to check? Things to watch out for?

In pretty good condition what should I expect to pay for this?

Any other thoughts?

I hope to be an owner and frequent this forum more often.... :omg:

stevebo

munson RN

The 417 was made only two years 1985 and 1986. The 1985 did not have a vented hood nor the led lights on the dash. They both have a 17hp twin kolher series II which is the good engine. I just sold my 86 417 8 speed with electric lift for $350 with no attachments and needed some work. I paid $475 for my 85 417 with deck and snowblower with 1300 hours on it. That was a steal as this is my best running tractor out of all I own. An 86 417 sold on ebay the other day for $830+ with plow and deck.

Most people here will tell you it is worth what you are willing to pay. I love all my horses but I am partial to my 417. I run my tiller with it. It also depends on the attachments it comes with. Good luck and buy that one !!! Steve Bo in CT.

bo dawg

:drool: glad to hear you're looking to make the best habit anyone can have. I would check if possible, any abuse or any cracks in the frame. Take a look under tractor more so where the trans/rearend bolts up to mounting plate. One of mine has it and seen a few more this way. Take a ride on it and see how the hydro runs out. Check for engine sound and if any smoke. And what ever else would come to mind.

Good luck with it, I know its a great model tractor. you will love it. :omg:

:drool:

Brian1045

:omg: :drool:

Rod(NASNUT)

:drool: glad to hear you're looking to make the best habit anyone can have. I would check if possible, any abuse or any cracks in the frame. Take a look under tractor more so where the trans/rearend bolts up to mounting plate. One of mine has it and seen a few more this way. Take a ride on it and see how the hydro runs out. Check for engine sound and if any smoke. And what ever else would come to mind.

Good luck with it, I know its a great model tractor. you will love it. :omg:

bo dawg is right about the mounting plate take a good look there here is a pic of the one that was on my dads C-160 100_0468.jpg

pfrederi

Hydros have some advantages but if they are messed up it is big bucks to fix them (relative to fixing an 8 speed)

Run it long enough to get the hydro warmed up then try going up and down hill. If she slows down a lot or speeds up significantly going down hill there could be issues....

munsonRN

Wow, what a picture.

Well, I went and took a peak at it. Guess what?/?

I'm the new proud owner of it. It will coming to its new home early next week as I am out of town this weekend....I can't wait to get it home. It is a VERY clean machine. Transmission was strong both in forward and reverse with no hesitation. No cracks or frame issues I could discern. It needs a new deck belt, and the starter made a loud noise every few cranks, but once started it purred well. No smoke when running. Deck works perfectly with no rust on it. Hydro deck works perfect too. It has chrome air intake AND a chrome muffler. That's all I can think of right now.

It is a 1986....as it has the LED lights on the dash. The guy that I purchased it from had the hood replaced due to a large dent in it. he replaced it with an '85 hood as it has no vents and is open on both sides.

Once she is home I will take some pics and post them. Thanks to those that posted the help. I'm sure that I will be needing additional help. I'll just throw up the help flag now...

And, I think I got a pretty good deal on her. But, what do I know..?/?

:omg:

refracman

Sound like your plenty happy and it sounds like you got a good deal to boot!

Now just watch out this becomes a addiction to some and there is NO cure! :omg: