Sign in to follow this  
Buzz

Why is there a big hole in his hood?

Buzz

Does anyone have any idea what the purpose of the big hole in the hood is for? :omg: It's the BIG one in front of the steering wheel. On my Lawn Ranger the PO bored one in my hood, but its directly over where you fill the oil so at least it has a purpose. Can't figure out this one.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/1968-8hp-Wheelhorse-La...A1%7C240%3A1318

TT

That might be one of those the "universal service/replacement parts" that fits round hood tractors like the 401, 551, Lawn Ranger, 704, etc.

I've seen a few mid-engined tractors with a slotted grille on a 1961 style hood and it took me a while to figure out what the heck the hood was. (maybe the spark plug access hole is what we're seeing on this Ranger hood? :omg: )

I believe they were stamped out in the mid to later 60's as a "one hood fits most tractors" replacement part. I'm not too sure about steering shaft hole locations though.

The neat thing is that you can basically make three cuts and drill two holes and that same hood will fit the tractors with the aluminum gas tanks. (701/552/633/753, etc)

Buzz

That sounds plausible. I looked on Partstree to see what other tractors besides the 68 'Ranger the #4075 hood fit. Slim pickings. Never thought of a replacement hood. Now other than an extra hole in the hood, the wrong engine, and a different seat, is there anything else not original on it?

TT

is there anything else not original on it?

All 4 tires and the shifter knob. :drool:

Don't quote me on the replacement hood theory either, Buzz..... it's not always easy to figure out why Wheel Horse hoods get all sorts of extra holes cut or drilled in them. :omg:

Maybe it used to have a big racing tachometer mounted in the hood? :drool:

mcwh1950

:omg: could it be for a speed odometer

bo dawg

:omg: maybe a tachometer?

:drool:

Shuboxlover

Fuel Tank Fill????? :omg: MAYBE????

69DEZ

Can holder! :omg: Sorry I had to say it. :drool:

linen beige

anything else not original on it?

Choke control cable and knob and the hood thumscrews are gone (replaced with phillips head screws.). Notice the listing says it has the original decals. The ones that are on it have been masked off (sloppily) and painted around, including the hood decals. Of course that doesn't mean the hood wasn't replaced before this repaint, but I'll go along with the can holder theory.

mcwh1950

Does anyone have any idea what the purpose of the big hole in the hood is for? :omg: It's the BIG one in front of the steering wheel. On my Lawn Ranger the PO bored one in my hood, but its directly over where you fill the oil so at least it has a purpose. Can't figure out this one.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/1968-8hp-Wheelhorse-La...A1%7C240%3A1318

hay buzz check this picture out of a 551 could it be a hole for a key for a elec start

1961Suburban5516Resized.jpg

picture borrow from mtf .

GlenPettit

You can get a plug to fill that at a large electrical supply, it's the same (as was used in 1961) plug used for home electrical boxes, and should have a spring-like clamp on the back (as Bill said, the new ones today are thinner). Now if you can find an older house with a 50's box being upgraded, you might find an exact match for the original plug.

Butch

Shuboxlover I agree. There is a cap on it and if you look at another photo from the side view it looks like it goes to a red container.

Kelly

Same basic hood just the steering shaft is in the wrong spot.