jeff lary

Solenoid for my 2000 3-14-8

jeff lary

I have a 2000 3-14-8 and need a Solenoid, do you all buy OEM or something else? Probably so cheap it would not matter but thought I would ask. Thanks Jeff

953 nut

Ford starter solenoid.  About $ 10.00 at auto parts stores and will last a lifetime.

Image result for ford starter solenoid

• Like 1

jeff lary

ok thanks so what model do I ask for surely not just " ford solenoid". I cat remember but doesn't  the WH have just 2 wire connections not 4?

lynnmor
48 minutes ago, jeff lary said:

ok thanks so what model do I ask for surely not just " ford solenoid". I cat remember but doesn't  the WH have just 2 wire connections not 4?

A solenoid would need at least 3 wires and a ground, so yes the Ford one should work.

ZXT
3 hours ago, jeff lary said:

Jeff, as far as I know, all fords (60s-80s) used that solenoid. Ask for a solenoid for say, a 65 Mustang with a 289. They shouldn't be more than about $10. 

One of the small posts is used to supply +12v to the ignition system on a car when cranking (The one with the "I" next to it in Richard's photo) - that post will be left unused in your application. 

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 1

jeff lary
  • thank you both I will get one before the weekend. 65 mustang w/ 289 it is.

The Tuul Crib
10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Ford starter solenoid.  About $ 10.00 at auto parts stores and will last a lifetime.

Image result for ford starter solenoid

:text-yeahthat:

jeff lary

The one I got was for a 1965 mustang w/a 289 it was $17.00. The bolt pattern to hold it to the metal wall was not even close to the same. So before I went to far I disconnected the old solenoid ,..by the way there are 4 lugs on the old one. In a diamond pattern, small one up top in the center then the positive side on the left, Neg one on the right, and another small stud in the center bottom. Each of the post's had a wire on it. I wired the new one same as the old one and nothing.

Then I got to thinking even if it worked I would have to find some way to drill another hole in the mounting surface to hold the new one. So I figured the heck with that there is zero room there to drill a new mounting hole. I do own a right angle drill I am sure I could have but it would have been a hassle.

So my next step was to call the old dealer and see if I could get one from him, he said he had a universal for ? I cant remember a price I guess but the said the OEM high quality one would be $61.00 I do remember that one ha ha.

I told him I would come down in the morning and we would decide then. In the mean time the old one has to come off,...that ought to be easy right 2 small bolts..... The mounting surface does not have threaded holes or a welded / captive nut on the back side, nope a nut and a bolt and no way I could see to hold the nut? cant even get to it.

I took off the drive belt cover on the right side of the tractor to see if I could get in behind the wall that way to get a wrench on the nut , nope not gonna happen. Then it came to me I went to the top surface above the solenoid" the bottom floor of the battery tray" and drilled 1" hole one hole directly above each nut. Now I can put a boxed end 7/16 wrench down through the hole and hold the nuts while I loosen the 1/4 bolts from the engine compartment. Now we are cooking with gas baby. Just got to go to the old dealer tomorrow and get a new solenoid then return the Ford one. Thanks for the help but as you can see I ended up going a new direction. I have 2 boxed end 7/16 wrenches with a drop of gasket sealer in each boxed end and the nut placed into that. By tomorrow the gasket material will be set up enough to firmly hold the nuts when I slip the wrench down through the drilled holes and I will be able to start the bolts into the nuts without them falling out of the wrench's.

• Like 1

ZXT
On 10/24/2019 at 4:37 PM, jeff lary said:

The one I got was for a 1965 mustang w/a 289 it was $17.00. The bolt pattern to hold it to the metal wall was not even close to the same. So before I went to far I disconnected the old solenoid ,..by the way there are 4 lugs on the old one. In a diamond pattern, small one up top in the center then the positive side on the left, Neg one on the right, and another small stud in the center bottom. Each of the post's had a wire on it. I wired the new one same as the old one and nothing.

Then I got to thinking even if it worked I would have to find some way to drill another hole in the mounting surface to hold the new one. So I figured the heck with that there is zero room there to drill a new mounting hole. I do own a right angle drill I am sure I could have but it would have been a hassle.

So my next step was to call the old dealer and see if I could get one from him, he said he had a universal for ? I cant remember a price I guess but the said the OEM high quality one would be $61.00 I do remember that one ha ha.

I told him I would come down in the morning and we would decide then. In the mean time the old one has to come off,...that ought to be easy right 2 small bolts..... The mounting surface does not have threaded holes or a welded / captive nut on the back side, nope a nut and a bolt and no way I could see to hold the nut? cant even get to it.

I took off the drive belt cover on the right side of the tractor to see if I could get in behind the wall that way to get a wrench on the nut , nope not gonna happen. Then it came to me I went to the top surface above the solenoid" the bottom floor of the battery tray" and drilled 1" hole one hole directly above each nut. Now I can put a boxed end 7/16 wrench down through the hole and hold the nuts while I loosen the 1/4 bolts from the engine compartment. Now we are cooking with gas baby. Just got to go to the old dealer tomorrow and get a new solenoid then return the Ford one. Thanks for the help but as you can see I ended up going a new direction. I have 2 boxed end 7/16 wrenches with a drop of gasket sealer in each boxed end and the nut placed into that. By tomorrow the gasket material will be set up enough to firmly hold the nuts when I slip the wrench down through the drilled holes and I will be able to start the bolts into the nuts without them falling out of the wrench's.

The solenoid has to be grounded to work - if you just had it hanging by the wires then that's probably why you weren't successful. 

Since the old solenoid was held on by a bolt, that means that it would've lined up with one of the holes in the new solenoid. That's enough to hold it in place. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the "universal" one that the dealer offered you is a Ford solenoid. 

jeff lary

Yes your right on the grounding. On my way to return the ford one that came to me. I went to my old dealer and he did not have one either. I wanted to read him my model number over the phone before I went but he did not want me to he said ' just bring it in and I will match one up for you". Well long story short he didn't have one he wanted me to go back home and get him my model number and cll him back with it. Then he could order me one likely to be over $50.00. 

So I went from there back to the auto parts store and returned the Ford one. I asked about grounding it and he said what I expected, yes it needs to be grounded to work. While in there he found one that was much closer to mine, I bought it $20.00 I think. Came home lined up one of the holes and bolted it on. Then I discovered what may have been the issue all along,.. the hot lead to the starter was a little lose I tightened it a full turn almost. Oh well it is on there now and working.

I took the mower deck off and washed it out good yesterday I will coat it in Fluid Film today and put it back on. The blades are pretty poor I will need new soon but for now I will sharpen them I guess. The deck does not have a model number sticker on it but it takes 3 blades .I think I bought new blades for it once and I mentioned it on here, I will look to see if I can find that thread because I think someone gave me a part number back then.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

42" side discharge? Check the center hole.

106077 replaced by 106636 3-blade set (3/4" round hole)

Garry

jeff lary

THANKS GARRY

I will make a note of these numbers I have put the tractor away for the winter.