ohiofarmer

8 HP Japanese Briggs ate my hand

ohiofarmer

I got a free pressure washer [Campbell Hausfield 3 GPM 3000 PSI unit .   Its apperance suggested that the best thing about it would be the heavy duty rolling frame it came with as the engine appeared to be frozen. Actually it was rusted at the magneto/flywheel junction, and a socket wrench broke it free.  Nasty carb and all that goes with it, of course.

I removed the flywheel and cleaned it up so it would generate spark. I have seen guys on the internet turn engines with a drill motor to get them to fire. DON'T DO IT. that engine caught like a champ, but immediately the nut holding the flywheel came off as did the flywheel off the tapered shaft. and just took off

That three pound cast iron flywheel caught my hand at the cooling fin and it is ugly..   There is a big split between two fingers and some bruising, but i am not getting stitches unless I have to.  Keeping the wound clean and the fingers taped together so hopefully it will knit together.

A hospital nearly killed me a few months ago with too high a dose of pain killers, so my trust level is not that high....

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SIMPSON-PowerShot-3300-PSI-2-5-GPM-Cold-Water-Gas-Pressure-Washer-with-Honda-Engine-CARB/1000120333

Looks a lot like this unit from Lowes, but has a Made in Japan Briggs, with a metric engine rated 7.8 HP

• Sad 8

rjg854

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, heal up quickly.

adsm08

I tried that once with my chain saw only to find out it had a left-handed nut on the flywheel, so I just took it apart.

Also, check your high-pressure water manifold. If it is the style in the pictures you linked to you are good, if it has the aluminum H-style manifold used on the older units it is very important to make sure you get all the water out at the end of the year, or store it in a heated area.

My inlaws have that same unit, Honda branded, and the manifold froze and cracked around the quick-disconnect fitting for the hose because my FIL doesn't drain things when he is done with them, he just shoves them in the shed and gets confused when they don't work in the spring.

Tractorhead

Sorry to hear, Hope it heal quickly.

Take care of yourself.

bc.gold

Amazing story but physics says differently.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Thank you for your concerns. We are at the 48 hour mark and the important thing is the risk of infection seems to have passed. I worked on the wounds for an hour this morning, and got out the peroxide and instruments to remove all the dead tissue. The deep part of the cuts have closed up and now all i have to do is keep things clean.  Had a fresh tetanus shot a few months back. 

It has gotten so bad at hospitals and their ER's that something like this could have cost 2 grand or so.  I should know, because a bruised hip from a crash with no broken skin went to 48 grand ask price. I could have just gone home and used some pain killers and had a better outcome.   I have to think that hospitals are milking the paying customers to help pay for all the Fentanil and Heroin overdoses that come through the doors.

I need to find out if the crank pulley nut that came on the engine is supposed to lock on in some manner before I start this thing up again.