looking for

1998 wheelhorse 314-8

PeacemakerJack

My favorite saying regarding things like this: “Anything mechanical can fail at ANY time, but you lessen your failure probability rate by purchasing/using something with a great known track record!”

The Command single looks good on paper...time will only tell how durable the motor actually is (I really like the full pressure lube and spin on oil filter). By the time these engines came out “the horsepower” race was in full swing.  Everyone had to brag about how much power their lawnmower had. So, cheaply made vertical shaft twins became commonplace in throw away tractors and gave a bad rap to everything built at the time.  Unfortunate though, because some of the engines out there were/are really good.  I do know this about the Command 23 horizontal shaft motor—I have a buddy who worked for Kohler R&D team when they were developing those.  He said that they logged more grueling hours on those engines in the test phase than any engine in Kohler’s history with a lower failure rate.  He said they would regularly hit 3000 hours without hitting the rebuild spec for internal parts.  Soooo...I wouldn’t be too afraid of 800 hours but I do echo what the guys said above...PO maintenance can definitely play a factor in a machines longevity. 

Good luck.

• Like 5

richmondred01

The command engines were good running engines. Biggest issue with the was oil seal leaks which is not a big deal, easy fix.

I would get it and not look back.

the worse case you can rebuild the engine or swap with a k321 or a m14. Just have to do some rewiring.

Note: the introduction of the Kohler Courage engine was a flop. I’m not a fan of those. But that’s a different subject and only my opinion.

Edited by richmondred01

AHS
On 10/17/2019 at 12:23 PM, looking for said:

I was told that any wheel horse model made after 1993 is junk. I have a hard time believing this. Can someone please shed some light.

PS I am look to buy a 1998 314-8 in nice shape.

Thank you

Wheel Horse is not junk.... any year!!! I have a 1970, a 1973, a 1989 and a 2000...... my favorites are the 73, and the 00. Great garden tractors!!

• Like 4

123GO

I really thank everyone for the input on this, I had no idea at all how good/bad Commands really are other than the bashing that goes on over them.

Meaning nothing solid being mentioned as to why they don't like them so being Aluminum is my only guess as to why we're told to avoid it? 

Oil leaks are indeed an easy fix even for me. 

Peacemaker Jack I never heard it said any better here.

My favorite saying regarding things like this: “Anything mechanical can fail at ANY time, but you lessen your failure probability rate by purchasing/using something with a great known track record!”

This has always been my theory too, I also learned long ago doing homework is much cheaper & so less frustrating than living and learning the hard way. I never knowingly choose to be the guinea pig "never".

Also learned yrs ago all companies make a poor product in some point & time either on purpose or not it certainly happens, bean counters generally create them. Glad to read so much testing went into it because thats generally what's cut short too, rushed development.

I told them again today to buy it, I'm comfortable saying that to them over what I read on the Command. Just no meat in all the bashing I heard over the yrs that made me question it. 

Fwiw on oil leaks- 

Many folks may not know it but for decades now Toyota uses very few gaskets in Aluminum engines. Instead they use FIPG (formed in place Gasket) many colors for different uses but other than the rubber oil seals Toys rarely leak even with high miles. My 2005  V8 Tundra has 353k miles and my first leak appeared this winter. My very first engine problem actually & its a valve cover seeping and that uses rubber gaskets.       

Many Toy engines are split block too and use no gaskets between the case half's only black FIPG.

Other corps make it, I used Permetex once on a timing chain cover and had to redo it with Toy brand FIPG 3 yrs later. No idea whats different but it is different. Expensive for a reason maybe, great stuff regardless.

Thanks again for helping folks.

Lord bless you all during our worlds health crisis.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, 123GO said:

bashing that goes on over them.

Meaning nothing solid being mentioned

Not to do with the engine you're asking about but just in a general manner of speaking.

I read something a few years ago about the general negative nature of humans.

There was a psychological expert of some sort of had theorized that it is part of our ancient ingrained survival instincts.

I found it to be interesting.

If we are negative about something we don't want to go near it. Causes us to be cautious and careful. Don't want new experiences. Keep the species as a whole safer that way by allowing us to survive and multiply.

I don't remember the percentages but the majority of modern humans inadvertently broadcast and deflect that caution and negativity on to other people places or things that we may have heard even so much as the slightest rumor about.

123GO
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Not to do with the engine you're asking about but just in a general manner of speaking.

I read something a few years ago about the general negative nature of humans.

There was a psychological expert of some sort of had theorized that it is part of our ancient ingrained survival instincts.

I found it to be interesting.

If we are negative about something we don't want to go near it. Causes us to be cautious and careful. Don't want new experiences. Keep the species as a whole safer that way by allowing us to survive and multiply.

I don't remember the percentages but the majority of modern humans inadvertently broadcast and deflect that caution and negativity on to other people places or things that we may have heard even so much as the slightest rumor about.

Oh its built in defense I agree 100% on that.

By all means there was some bashing I should have listened to and some I'm glad I didn't too though. But' its a real challenge sometimes to sway correctly when so many jump right on the bashing band wagon without any care for truth. Playing fallow the leader straight down to Hades like a social media craze? Wow!

You know' I should have listened to my ex-fathernlaw bashing my Ex just prior to our marriage in 1984. 

"Don't kill yourself trying to make her happy because she'll never be happy no matter what you or anyone ever does for her".

Yup' father knows best, take their bashing to heart and Run Forest Ruuuun!

Now there's ancient humans on a bashing band wagon for her..lol

• Excellent 2

123GO
4 hours ago, AHS said:

Wheel Horse is not junk.... any year!!! I have a 1970, a 1973, a 1989 and a 2000...... my favorites are the 73, and the 00. Great garden tractors!!

My guess is people saying such things really are referring to the plastic MTD "lawnmowers" Toro smeared the famous WH "Tractor" name all over. Not understanding the tractor segment never changed but in safety/appearance. 

They are half right though, it was sad times for the proud WH production teams no doubt.

Surely Id puked had I been one who spent my lifetime building such tough WH tractors/mowers for decades only to see a real p.o.s. MTD at KMart flying WH colors. Thats beside the huge job loss WH teams suffered..Just saying. 

• Heart 1

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, 123GO said:

My guess is people saying such things really are referring to the plastic MTD "lawnmowers" Toro smeared the famous WH "Tractor" name all over. Not understanding the tractor segment never changed but in safety/appearance. 

They are half right though, it was sad times for the proud WH production teams no doubt.

Surely Id puked had I been one who spent my lifetime building such tough WH tractors/mowers for decades only to see a real p.o.s. MTD at KMart flying WH colors. Thats beside the huge job loss WH teams suffered..Just saying. 

I've never heard that MTD made a Wheelhorse or that they were sold anywhere other than a Toro dealer.

Not saying it didn't happen. I'm saying I've never heard of it.

There are all kinds of rumors online about that sort of stuff. I have read where MTD made some stamped decks for the Toro branded Wheelhorse LAWN tractors..... But not the whole tractor.

i'm curious to know what the real story is and the source of the information

AHS
3 minutes ago, 123GO said:

Toro did change the hood and added more safety switches, and the frame (long frame to short frame). Still a rugged metal frame, and 8 speed with 1 1/8” axles, my 2000 has a few more grease zerks....my 2000 feels like my 1973 in most aspects. My 2000 is ( more comfortable) also my snowblower machine... and nothing gets more of a winter workout than that ol girl... the amount of torque she lays down to keep that snowblower a spinning, in 1’ of snow. My 1973 is just my lawnmower, which takes its toll on 85 degree days.... that motor get nice and crispy!

123GO

To my understanding the Toro XL/HXL lawnmowers are MTD.

My neighbor owns one and told me MTD built it. It's a Wheel Horse cookie cutter "lawnmower" understand?

I am not saying MTD ever built actual Wheel Horse "Tractors" so let's get the machines in question correct first.

Now I replaced both belts, its steering linkages & blades on it and all those parts shared MTD numbers. 

This is my only experience with the HXL or XL lawnmowers but most lawnmower shops in my area call them Toro MTD lawnmowers in discussions. No Toro dealers here though..

Possibly its the decks mainly I guess but regardless they are nothing like Wheel Horse Tractors I own. Strictly cookie cutters with plastic hoods, Wheel Horse decals and very thin metal. No iron!

Edited by 123GO
Spelling
  • Like 1