Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

800 special?

rustyoldjunk

what was the purpose behind the 800 special? if it was an economy model it seems all the tooling to use the one off transaxle would have offset the cost enough it wouldnt have been worth it. were they only made in 1970? were they powered with an aluminum 8hp briggs and was it electric or pull start? did it use a electric pto clutch? who made the transaxle? i just got one in with two other horses and had never seen a 800 special before so its all new to me and has my curiosity peeked.

TT

Yeah.... they're "Special" alright!

I'm not really sure what WH engineers were thinking when they put those things together. :omg:

Here's a LINK to a post from "BadDad" (Donnie from TX) about the 800 Special he's working on.

BTW - starter/generator and electric PTO clutch on an 8hp aluminum Briggs and a weird one-off frame with a Peerless transaxle are a few answers to your questions. :drool:

Kelly

You want another one??? I have a nice one and a parts one I'm going to sell. Thay are kinda a odd duck

ol550

Another question on this topic. :omg: Why do the ID tags have Briggs and Stratton on them and not Wheel Horse? Mike

oldandred

some one at wheel horse must have had a brain swell I have one and every time i take it to a show people say whats thats so I havent taken it for a few years now its parked way in the rear of the shed.

rustyoldjunk

thanks for the info TT,it is definitely an odd horse.thanks Kelly but i dont think this one is stayin',i just had never seen one before a buddy hauled this one to me.when i first looked it over i thought someone had done a pretty good home engineering job after looking at the rear frame/transaxle and the little aluminum briggs with a electric pto clutch.

Bow_Extreme

Speaking of the 800 Special, someone over by me just posted one for sale on CL. It's not mine and since we can't post the links here on RS you can contact me and I will send you the link. It appears to be in great condition from the pictures and has the deck and mower.

BadDad

Well the 800 doesn't seem to be the most popular Wheel Horse in the heard, but even the ugly ducking turned out to be a very nice looking swan. I am still looking for parts for mine. So if any of you guys are going to part an 800 out I would be interested in some of the parts. I am looking for the belt guard engine, brake band, belt guard side sheet metal, nylon bushings to mount the engine to the engine plate, & light switch. I have mine all tore down & getting ready to go to the sand blaster then have it powder coated. So any help will be appreciated. Thank you Donnie.