The Tuul Crib

Why is this new drive belt not fitting?

The Tuul Crib

I just ordered this new drive belt off of eBay and it's supposed to be a 7473 that fit on a 414-8.  When I got it today I put it on the tractor I looped it around the pulley on the motor and tried to loop it around the pulley on the transmission and it was way too tight. I could barely get it on the idler pulley. Any ideas ?

ebinmaine

I just replied in your other thread but I'll ask the same question here. What brand belt did you purchase?

Lots of us use TSC on a regular basis but I have not had very good luck with their stuff.

I've had white colored Dayco brand belts be too short as well.

Have you been able to compare the old belt with the new one?

The Tuul Crib
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I just replied in your other thread but I'll ask the same question here. What brand belt did you purchase?

Lots of us use TSC on a regular basis but I have not had very good luck with their stuff.

I've had white colored Dayco brand belts be too short as well.

Have you been able to compare the old belt with the new one?

I got the belt Off of eBay . The brand is called D and D power belts. I have gotten 

two other belts from them with no issues. 

By the time i got it over the idler and pushed the clutch pedal there was no way 

l could have got it into gear. I did put them up to each other in the new one was slightly a bit smaller. Thinking that the old belt  might have been a little stretched .It was a kevlar

Edited by The Tool Crib

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

stretched

Is there a way that you can take a flexible tape measure or some other means and get an accurate measurement of the outside of the belts?

Make a single magic marker mark and follow it around the outside edge very slowly and carefully.

I found last year when I was trying to get belts to work on a tractor that was cobbled together that as little as 3/4 to 1 inch made a HUGE difference and in where that pulley lands.

Sounds as though the new belt you have is less than 82 inches long.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Is there a way that you can take a flexible tape measure or some other means and get an accurate measurement of the outside of the belts?

Make a single magic marker mark and follow it around the outside edge very slowly and carefully.

I found last year when I was trying to get belts to work on a tractor that was cobbled together that as little as 3/4 to 1 inch made a HUGE difference and in where that pulley lands.

Sounds as though the new belt you have is less than 82 inches long.

I'll check that tomorrow somehow. I ended up putting the old belt back on the tractor 

for now.  There is a little bit involved to replacing one of these belts .  I did contact the seller to see about returning it 

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
19 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

I'll check that tomorrow somehow. I ended up putting the old belt back on the tractor 

for now.  There is a little bit involved to replacing one of these belts .  I did contact the seller to see about returning it 

So Eric is there any specific maker or manufacture of these belts that I would choose from  to get the correct one ?

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

So Eric is there any specific maker or manufacture of these belts that I would choose from  to get the correct one ?

What was the BRAND of the belt you got?

ebinmaine

I've ALWAYS had good luck with Gates green.

I don't know what brand Lincoln from A-Z tractor sells. They're blue in color. They've been good as well.

And of course OE Toro.

grinchsr

Had same problem with D & D belts a while back.  Now I just buy OEM

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I don't know what brand Lincoln from A-Z tractor sells. They're blue in color. They've been good as well.

:text-yeahthat:

Just bought one one from A-Z... fit and works perfectly!

Heres pic: zoom in...can read label...

74322DD5-8124-48EC-8FCE-AF0078A59B7E.jpeg

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk

Only time I've ever had a problem with TSC belts is when somone returns them and puts them in the wrong sleeve. Then I'm too dumb to check it before I leave the store! :(

How bout some pics of the offending belt and tractor?  :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 2

The Tuul Crib

Dang I'm a little too late for that I could barely get it back off once I got it on. I probably said a few words at the time. I put the old one back on it for now.lm heeding what @SylvanLakeWH  advice and go to AZ tractors and look at their belts and the one they have is a Stens 258-082 True blue

Time to reorder!!

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 1

ET160

I had to try a lot of different belts for my B-80.  The OEM belt that was supposed to fit didn't.  82.5" ended up being the right length.

Tractorhead

Why are belts so different?

i‘ll maybe get the answer.

If there was a manufacturer order number it shall fit, no doubt about it.

But for all other cases:

While i reworked my horse for hydraulics, i had to completely reworking the whole drivepath.

that means 1 single Belt will be changed now in 2 Belts, therefore i had to measure the new length.

the firse belt i ordered, i measured the back before and if i got it it was to long.

how about that?

After i had a nice conversation with a local Belt Company owner he told me, there are 3 measure options,

they mostly are given if you order.

you can measure the inside of the belt what give you a shorter Value

you can measure the basline of the belt what gives you the right size ( if it wasn‘t spreaded by wear) 

or you can measure the outside of the belt what gives you a longer Value

You have to take care of what measuring they offer 

id= inner diameter

md=  mid diameter

od= outer diameter

mostly in short letters given at the belts number

if you now must cut the belt, or if it riped and you lay it along a ruler, you shall get the mid diameter for a new belt.

If you‘re using outer diameter you lost a bit of lenght.

some Manufacturers also have additional codes on, for compensating the Wear on older Pulley‘s to ensure the friction.

That wasn‘t be given in detail at cheap Dealers.

This wear Values are given from „-3“ to „0“ or sometimes from AAAA to A

i measured the future belt, by mid diameter and ordered a 0 value or A type Belt.

That fits exactly as i measured.

maybe that is the reason, you‘re having with to small belts.

• Like 1