cgambino1018

Turn key and completely nothing

cgambino1018

my 520 was working fine and then i turned the lights on b/c it was getting dark.. heard a pop and it came to a stop.  now i turn the key and nothing.  nothing lights up on the dashboard.  i had the battery on a charger all week but that didnt help.  checked the 3 fuses to the right of dashboard, they looked good.  Where do I go from here?

all help is appreciated.

Thx

Chris

953 nut

Could be the fuse holder for the 30 amp fuse want bad. Other than that I would clean and tighten all connections.531704638_1electrical.jpg.52d1d21298af096197dd27b010380eca.jpg

• Like 2

cgambino1018

Thanks for the quick response..  i will push the 30amp wire around and look for lights to go on.  

also i had the battery charging again (according to the tender the batter is about 90% charged) the lights went on for a split second and then went off.   i will try with the car battery sunday morning.  

lynnmor

Find the 9 pin connector, usually white.  Unplug and check for a burned connection.

• Like 1

cgambino1018

Charger once again said battery was charged.  Multimeter said it was 13.xx.  Taking no chances tried to jump off Car.  still nothing. replaced the 3 fuses.  Are there more than 3?  

Pushed wires every which waying trying to get something on the dash to light up.  took the big harness connector off to clean connections and noticed 1 connection was burnt.  see pic.

i dont want to break anything but is it save to just jump over the connector  with a bypass wire?

Thanks for all our help

Chris   

wheel horse wont start 2.jpg

wheel horse wont start 1.jpg

• Like 1

lynnmor

Yes, simply jump around the bad terminal.  Try to clean the remaining terminals as best you can.  There are replacement kits for the entire connector available.

• Like 1

cgambino1018

the jumping around the adaptor worked..  thanks for the great advice. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ZXT
8 hours ago, cgambino1018 said:

the jumping around the adaptor worked..  thanks for the great advice. 

Did you clean the other terminals? I see a fair amount of corrosion on the other pins.. They might soon end up burnt as well if not cleaned! Oxidation is not a good conductor.

Edited by ZXT

cgambino1018

I sprayed some CRC QD Electrical Connector in each hole in both sides of adaptor.  hope it does some good.  i notice they were bluish green.  should I soak them in white vinegar?

gwest_ca

Vinegar may work but it is a mild acid. It should be followed by a soak of baking soda and water. Then thoroughly dry them. If they come clean an application of dielectric silicone grease should preserve them.

This grease will not conduct electricity so good terminal to terminal contact is required. The grease is just a barrier to prevent corrosion.

There is a tool you can place over a terminal to collapse the retaining tabs so it can be removed from the plastic holder. It is a thin-wall tube with a specific size. You could practise on the problem one.

Garry