adsm08

Adjustable voltage regulator.

adsm08

So I still have some charging issues. It works, it runs, it currently isn't smoking, but the ammeter needle is erratic and at this point I suspect the regulator is the issue.  I have read that some voltage regulators are adjustable, and that it is typically done with a screw. I have  looked at mine, and compared it to the old one, and I don't see a screw. What I do  see is that the relay arm for the F ground is slotted. There is a screw that can be loosened, and I can slide the arm up or down to adjust the gap.

Does anyone have and idea how to adjust this kind of regulator? I have tried theGoogle, and all I get is instructions for setting electronic ones.

pfrederi

I uploaded a Delco manual in the electrical section that may help.

adsm08

Ok, so after reading that first article I polarized the regulator and set the gap, and now it has settled down quite a bit, but the ammeter still bounces between 0 and +15 amps.

Unless a new load is introduced it stays pretty steady in that range though.

Edited by adsm08

gwest_ca

I did not look at the links to see what you have but this old Kohler service manual has a section on the starter/generator and the regulator.

Click on the picture to see what section you need.

Garry

• Excellent 1

adsm08
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

I did not look at the links to see what you have but this old Kohler service manual has a section on the starter/generator and the regulator.

Click on the picture to see what section you need.

Garry

This is very useful information.

I got went and mowed with it, lasted a lot longer than before, and didn't let the magic smoke out. Generator does get quite warm after extended operation. Not sure if that is normal or not.

953 nut
13 hours ago, adsm08 said:

Generator does get quite warm after extended operation. Not sure if that is normal or not

That is normal. Here is a document I saved several years back, seems like 350 or so is OK.

Taking care of your Delco Remy Starter Generators

Jan 30, 2015 01:45 PM | Bolens 1000 in Tech Tips / How To

delco-remy bolens cub cadet garden tractor starter regulator

Over the years many garden tractor manufactures used these Delco Remy starter generators & Regulators so I figured I would do a little write up on taking care of your Regulator and Starter to prolong its life and keep your machine running trouble free.

There were two common types of starters. A "stubby" one and a longer starter which was most common. There were also different versions of bearings used. Some had all ball bearings and others had a bearing near the pully end and a bronze bushing on the other end.

Long starter w/ bushing above
Approx 7'' end to end on the main base with slotted screw

Stubby version w/ dual ball bearing above
Approx 6'' end to end on the main base with slotted screw
Basic Operation:

Starter/Generator- Pretty simple this is the unit that when activated by the solenoid turns your engine over to start once the engine is running the generator aids in keeping your battery fully charged.
Basic components include Brushes,armature,field coils

Voltage Regulator- This regulates the amount of current/voltage that the starter/generator puts out.

This is critical to ensure your battery does not overcharge or undercharge. The insides consist of windings,temperature strip & contact sets that are spring loaded (Almost like a points and condenser)

When the starter is running the contacts repeatedly open and close in sequence depending on the voltage needed back to the battery
These can be adjusted and serviced if overcharging is encountered(See the wisconsin repair manual for proper procedures, a few different styles were used)

Do's and Donts:

*Always use a good battery! Do not use a battery that is dead or jump start a dead battery. These Starter/Generators are designed as a maintainer charger only and are not meant to bring a dead battery back to life on a regular basis! Many people end up ruining their starters because of this!

It is normal for these to be hot to the touch , being a sealed unit these have an operating temperature of about 300 to 350 degrees!

*Let the parts warm up before making a reading/Adjustment! The delco service manual states starter and regular need at least 15 minutes to get to operating temperature.

* Check voltage output frequently especially on models without a ammeter, On a voltage meter you should get a reading between 12.2 to 13.9 volts MAX, anything over 14 volts on a constant basis leads to over charging and makes your generator run hotter making parts wear out faster.

A simple cleaning and adjustment of your regulator can often correct many issues you may experience with charging.

* Do not crank longer than 30 seconds at a time, this also will severely damage your starter over time.

* If you have the bushing starter keep it oiled! These have a felt wick that was soaked in oil from the factory and when serviced by a shop.
a few drops every now and then is fine do not over oil.

*All extra accessories such as lighting must be attached to the "L" terminal of the regulator

* Keep all contacts clean

*Keep the battery clean

• Thanks 1

adsm08
14 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

That is normal. Here is a document I saved several years back, seems like 350 or so is OK.

Taking care of your Delco Remy Starter Generators

Jan 30, 2015 01:45 PM | Bolens 1000 in Tech Tips / How To

delco-remy bolens cub cadet garden tractor starter regulator

Over the years many garden tractor manufactures used these Delco Remy starter generators & Regulators so I figured I would do a little write up on taking care of your Regulator and Starter to prolong its life and keep your machine running trouble free.

There were two common types of starters. A "stubby" one and a longer starter which was most common. There were also different versions of bearings used. Some had all ball bearings and others had a bearing near the pully end and a bronze bushing on the other end.

Long starter w/ bushing above
Approx 7'' end to end on the main base with slotted screw

Stubby version w/ dual ball bearing above
Approx 6'' end to end on the main base with slotted screw
Basic Operation:

Starter/Generator- Pretty simple this is the unit that when activated by the solenoid turns your engine over to start once the engine is running the generator aids in keeping your battery fully charged.
Basic components include Brushes,armature,field coils

Voltage Regulator- This regulates the amount of current/voltage that the starter/generator puts out.

This is critical to ensure your battery does not overcharge or undercharge. The insides consist of windings,temperature strip & contact sets that are spring loaded (Almost like a points and condenser)

When the starter is running the contacts repeatedly open and close in sequence depending on the voltage needed back to the battery
These can be adjusted and serviced if overcharging is encountered(See the wisconsin repair manual for proper procedures, a few different styles were used)

Do's and Donts:

*Always use a good battery! Do not use a battery that is dead or jump start a dead battery. These Starter/Generators are designed as a maintainer charger only and are not meant to bring a dead battery back to life on a regular basis! Many people end up ruining their starters because of this!

It is normal for these to be hot to the touch , being a sealed unit these have an operating temperature of about 300 to 350 degrees!

*Let the parts warm up before making a reading/Adjustment! The delco service manual states starter and regular need at least 15 minutes to get to operating temperature.

* Check voltage output frequently especially on models without a ammeter, On a voltage meter you should get a reading between 12.2 to 13.9 volts MAX, anything over 14 volts on a constant basis leads to over charging and makes your generator run hotter making parts wear out faster.

A simple cleaning and adjustment of your regulator can often correct many issues you may experience with charging.

* Do not crank longer than 30 seconds at a time, this also will severely damage your starter over time.

* If you have the bushing starter keep it oiled! These have a felt wick that was soaked in oil from the factory and when serviced by a shop.
a few drops every now and then is fine do not over oil.

*All extra accessories such as lighting must be attached to the "L" terminal of the regulator

* Keep all contacts clean

*Keep the battery clean

Thanks Richard.

I'd say it was not getting as hot as 300*. It was uncomfortable to touch, but I could keep my hand on it.