Mudrig150

Ignition switch wiring

Mudrig150

I have no spark. I think I may have swapped the Battery and ignition wires to my test bench. I need to see if this K241AQS runs. Would swapping the battery and ignition wires cause me to only have a flash of power at my coil? It does turn over.

• Like 1

Achto

If this engine is using a battery ignition / automotive style coil. Try connecting a wire from the + battery post to the + terminal on the coil. Turn the engine over, if you have spark then I would say that you have an issue at the switch. Disconnect the wire that you ran from the battery to the coil immediately after this test or you will damage the coil and/or points. If you do not have spark check & clean the points & try again.

If this engine is using a magneto coil then disconnect the small wire that runs from the switch to the coil. Turn the engine over and you should have spark. With this style of ignition the small  wire from the coil gets grounded out to shut off the engine, if you accidently ran positive power to this wire you most likely have damaged the coil and would need to replace it.

Mudrig150
25 minutes ago, Achto said:

If this engine is using a battery ignition / automotive style coil. Try connecting a wire from the + battery post to the + terminal on the coil. Turn the engine over, if you have spark then I would say that you have an issue at the switch. Disconnect the wire that you ran from the battery to the coil immediately after this test or you will damage the coil and/or points. If you do not have spark check & clean the points & try again.

If this engine is using a magneto coil then disconnect the small wire that runs from the switch to the coil. Turn the engine over and you should have spark. With this style of ignition the small  wire from the coil gets grounded out to shut off the engine, if you accidently ran positive power to this wire you most likely have damaged the coil and would need to replace it.

Do you have to have a good ground at the switch to get spark? Mine only has a wire from the engine to the battery. I tested the key switch in another tractor and it worked just fine.

Achto
32 minutes ago, Mudrig150 said:

Do you have to have a good ground at the switch to get spark?

A ground at the switch is not needed for a battery type ignition. A ground at the switch is required to shut a magneto style ignition off.

953 nut

here is a thread that may be helpful.

• Like 1