Too much red

Just acquired a wheel horse

rjg854

It's a 12 volt tractor. A regular garden tractor battery will work, mine I think is @ 300 cca.  Fun little tractor. 

Ps. Looks original and that's a nice front weight. 

Edited by rjg854
Add

adsm08

While its an older body, functionally it is very similar to my 855. Same engine I believe.

12V system, regular U1 group size lawn and garden battery. I'm running a U1-3 with is about 340 CCA, but I also plan to plow with it, so I need cold weather power.

When I got my 855 earlier this year it had sat since around the same time, with fuel in it no less. Cleaned the tank, cleaned the carb, ran a new line, and replaced the sediment bowl, and it fired right up. Needed some fiddling and fine tuning, but she runs great.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Vinylguy

Daddy Don

953 nut

:WRS:

52 minutes ago, Too much red said:

ll be asking tons of questions around here,so I just want to say thanks in advance. So I plan on doing the basic fluid changes and fuel cleaning first and go from there.

:text-coolphotos:            Ask away, this site is loaded with helpful people. This manual will be helpful.

When draining the transmission be sure to jack up the front end to ensure complete draining.

WHX??

854s  are favorite of most everyone here. Your's has a real nice patina. Looks like you may need a new throttle cable but orginal styles are still available. 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

JCM

:text-welcomeconfetti:      To RedSquare

Too much red
12 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

854s  are favorite of most everyone here. Your's has a real nice patina. Looks like you may need a new throttle cable but orginal styles are still available. 

I'm new to the wheel horse community, did they sell a lot of 854s? I'm trying to figure out the model number meaning. Seems like it was only made 1 year. Is it the same garden tractor just the last number changes depending on what year it was built?

Edited by Too much red

Too much red

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. The plan is to get it running over winter and use it as much as I can. My buddy also said he has a plow to go with it that he needs to unbury from behind the barn. I'm excited to use that on my little garden next year. I plan on mowing with it and finding a snow plow and using that during the winter. Eventually I'd like to do a restoration on it but I'm currently restoring a farmall super a so this one will be a work horse for now. 

adsm08
11 minutes ago, Too much red said:

I'm new to the wheel horse community, did they sell a lot of 854s? I'm trying to figure out the model number meaning. Seems like it was only made 1 year. Is it the same garden tractor just the last number changes depending on what year it was built?

I've heard a few different stories about what the numbers translate to.

The first number (or two digits of a 4 digit model number) is the HP rating of the engine, the last number is the ones place of the year it was built. These parts I know are correct.

The middle number is where the inconsistencies arise. I have heard it would either designate the transmission type (manual or hydro) or the engine manufacturer (Kohler, Briggs, Tecumseh, etc). I do not know if either of those is accurate or not.

Edited by adsm08

WHX??

Yes they produced quite a few as they were a popular model. Brouse the picture gallery and you will find some fine ones. 

8 is for 8 hp, 5 is for 3 speed manual transmission, 4 is for 1964 the model year. 

BTW might be considered somewhat sacrilegious by many here to restore or repaint  it due to the fine patina and they are only orginal once. Personally I would get it in good working order and use it as is.

• Heart 1

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

the best tractor site on the planet!!

Achto

:WRS:  That's a sweet looking 854!!

AMC RULES

5= electric start. 

ZXT

That's a fine looking tractor you have there! It should make you a good worker with very little work. Keep clean fluids in it and it'll last you a lifetime. 

Pullstart

:text-welcomewave: @Too much red!  Nice FREE 854, but how could one ever have too much red?  These tractors are addicting and seem to bring strays home.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Here’s a little inspiration to prove that you can’t get too much red :ROTF:

C9F3DA10-0807-4FAD-A2FA-8DD1A918448D.jpeg

76FDFD81-B4F1-4222-B371-5870994EEE16.jpeg

1A41D1EF-090F-4E50-B5EC-02D9D01E89D3.jpeg

68931A9D-4D50-4087-9F65-40760A759409.jpeg

AAC535A9-8DC6-425F-A05A-AF9EE2B7D891.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Too much red
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

:text-welcomewave: @Too much red!  Nice FREE 854, but how could one ever have too much red?  These tractors are addicting and seem to bring strays home.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Here’s a little inspiration to prove that you can’t get too much red :ROTF:

Haha, my forum name comes from everything else sitting in my garage. I have 2 farmall super A's, a bright red miata, my current mower is red (huskee) and now this wheel horse. My wife said if my favorite color isn't already red, it's time to change it. 

Edited by Too much red
  • Like 4

WHX??
12 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

5= electric start. 

Your right Craig my bad. A 0 in the middle number is 3/4 speed.

Model numbers can be confusing in those days.

Here's some crib sheets for model numbers that every horse head should have! :)

Wheel_Horse_Products_Master_Model_List.pdf wheelhorseallyears.pdf

• Like 1

AMC RULES

0= recoil start.

WHX??
11 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

0= recoil start.

See what I mean about confusing... a 701/702 is electric start while a 401 is pull but a 551 is electric.... :huh:

My guess is in '63 WH changes the the middle number to try and avoid confusion. Like 753...

Ok everbody change the decal on their 702 to 752!:lol:

Edited by WHX24

Too much red

Haha. I kinda figured out the meaning of the 8 and 4 over the past few days, it was the 5 that alluded me. Glad to see I'm not the only one!

• Excellent 1

WHX??
6 minutes ago, Too much red said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one!

No your not Too Much.. There are probably other models that throw a monkey wrench into model numbering in those years. I don't think the Ponds gave it much thought at the time...they were, thankfully for us, too busy cranking out tractors! :D