:thumbs:  Thing is a beast!   :bow-blue:

• Like 3

Skipper

Thanks.

It's just a tester though. A work in progress :lol:

• Like 2

JoeM

That thing needs an air bag!

Nice job on the engine install, pretty cool, and I wish my lawn was that smooth!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skipper

Yeah it does cover some grounds in a hurry :lol: 

The nicest thing is that it cuts rather OK, even at that speed. 

Groundspeed is about the same as a commercial grade z-turn. 

This thing does the lawn in 45 minutes, where as my old c-120 42" took 2.5 hours. As does my scrubs mower, a craftsman 42". The 195 with the Kohler KT19 took about an hour.

Best thing is a complete mowing has dropped the fuel consumption from a tad over 2 gallons of gas, to just shy of 1 gallon of diesel. 0.85 to be precise :-)

Some might ask what the reasoning is behind this project. Pretty simple actually. It takes less time to get the work done, and it is a joy to have power in abundance no matter what. But the biggest + is the economy of it. Fuel prices are stupid high here in the EU compared to the US. Gas is also significantly more expensive than diesel. On the fuel savings on a single mowing, there is a 10$ advantage. Or about 13.5$ per hour. I put at least 50 hours on this machine each year, so the quick math is a fuel saving of about 700$ a year.......................boom............... In my case, that makes it an investment with a very short full return time. :handgestures-thumbupright:

In the US, had I been using this machine there, and based on the online prices I could find today. 2.85 for gas, and 2.90 for diesel. That would make for a fuel saving of 215$ a year, based on regular gas and no magic potions mixed inn. Not insignificant I would say :-)

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 4

Goofey

That is somehow the coolest thing. Cant wait to see the finished thing. Please please please post a build of it.  Got tons of questions. Whats the price and where can I get one? You import them so can you sell one to me? whats the warranty on it? Service intervals? parts? Wiring? It's not the same as HF had a while back is it? weight? How can it have more than the rated 25 hp that you say it rated at? How can the fuel consumption be s o much lower than the gas engine? Why do you run it at 3300 rpm and not full speed? Does it smoke? How come the 195 goes that fast? half a ton machine? ain't that a bit high? How many hours have you used it and have you had any problems? Any drawbacks? in your fuel calculations you say a saving of 215$ a year without magic potion. What are you saying? Is it loud? idle rpm? Whats the bottle at your left foot? What clutch do you use? is it tough to steer now? how can it mow that nice when you go that fast?

Please more information if you can. Cant just throw out a teaser like that :thanks:

Freaking awesome that thing is :omg::wub::bow-blue::happy-bouncygreen::eusa-clap::bow-yellow:

On the video editing part of it. Its OK but i dont think you should quit your daytime job just yet :ROTF: No seriously, it's more than good enough to post here. :thumbs:

Edited by Goofey
  • Like 1

chip61

Nice! I need that for the 6 acres I cut!!

• Like 1

Chris G

That is a awesome machine and great job on the swap.

• Like 2

WildmanC120

That thing is awesome!  Where can I get one???? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Skipper
3 hours ago, WildmanC120 said:

That thing is awesome!  Where can I get one???? 

Thanks. I think it will be neat when all done and dressed up :-)

Where can you get one? Well I have secured import to Europe, and as far as I know, no one imports them to the US. I could have one shipped directly from the factory to you, but since my business is EU based, I have very little knowledge of importing TO the US, only Export FROM the US. If you are serious about it, I can ask my shipping company if they can handle it. They have offices in the US. But be warned, the freight are going to be quite a thing price wise.

• Excellent 1

WildmanC120
1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Thanks. I think it will be neat when all done and dressed up :-)

Where can you get one? Well I have secured import to Europe, and as far as I know, no one imports them to the US. I could have one shipped directly from the factory to you, but since my business is EU based, I have very little knowledge of importing TO the US, only Export FROM the US. If you are serious about it, I can ask my shipping company if they can handle it. They have offices in the US. But be warned, the freight are going to be quite a thing price wise.

I'm unfortunately not that serious at the moment. At some point though I would like to do this.  I've been very happy with my predator swap but I think this would be even better.  

• Like 2

Skipper
On 9/23/2019 at 4:56 PM, Goofey said:

Got tons of questions. Whats the price and where can I get one? You import them so can you sell one to me? whats the warranty on it? Service intervals? parts? Wiring? It's not the same as HF had a while back is it? weight? How can it have more than the rated 25 hp that you say it rated at? How can the fuel consumption be s o much lower than the gas engine? Why do you run it at 3300 rpm and not full speed? Does it smoke? How come the 195 goes that fast? half a ton machine? ain't that a bit high? How many hours have you used it and have you had any problems? Any drawbacks? in your fuel calculations you say a saving of 215$ a year without magic potion. What are you saying? Is it loud? idle rpm? Whats the bottle at your left foot? What clutch do you use? is it tough to steer now? how can it mow that nice when you go that fast?

Wow that was quite a lot of questions. I will try to answer as good as I can. If you need further info, just ask. :-)

• Whats the price and where can I get one?: Pricewise I cant tell you what it would be in the US. That depends a whole lot on the taxes you are subject to on it. If you can get that figured out, I can help you with a price. Here in the EU I can sell them for somewhere between  2000 and 2500 USD depending on what you want to go with it.
  • You import them so can you sell one to me?: Maybe. It will take a bit of figuring out, and it would be helpfull if you could find the info on your import taxes. Remember the trade war with china.
  • whats the warranty on it?:1 year or 1000 hours. Whatever comes first. 
  • Service intervals?: I don't remember if it is 100 or 200 hours minimum 1 time each year. Once a year rule comes into play for most here. :-)
  • parts?: all is available, and I have some on stock. Parts are not expensive.
  • Wiring?: Very easy. you can use original ignition switch.
  • It's not the same as HF had a while back is it?: No, but then again, all the clones of that type engines are derrived from the same parent engine. This is a 997CC, and it is the only one of the chinese small diesels that they use themselves in their industry (acording to the chinese). Use are mainly generators and waterpumps. My supplier has access all the other types too, but he plainly refuses to sell them to me, because as he puts it: "I wont put it in my machines and sell it to my customers, so why should I sell it to you when you can have this one that works..........." well, hard to argue with really.
  • How can it have more than the rated 25 hp that you say it rated at?: This is where it can get long winded. A diesel is not the same as a gas engine. A diesel you can basically keep feeding more and more, and it will in return produce more power. As you ramp op the fuel, it will burn clean untill you exceed the fuel to air mix that the engine can burn cleanly. After that exhaust starts to lead out unburned carbons, which is what you start to see as a bit of golden, all the way up to thick black smoke. The rated power is measured well below the clean burn threshold. A diesel also starts to run hotter as you feed it more. So to run at constant speed for days, not getting hot and not smoking, that's the 25 hp level that has been rated. but for intermittent higher power, there are no ill effects to the engine that it goes higher. The built in governor holds it at + - 3 % and actually it seems to me it does even better than that. It will hold steady rpm's untill it smokes black and can't feed more fuel. I have no data on how much it produces at that point, but it is significantly more than the rated power. Usually when I mow, I rarely see any golden smoke, and I have to put it into something that would just have killed the old KT 19 on the spot, to see any black.
  • How can the fuel consumption be s o much lower than the gas engine?: Several reasons. Gas contains significantly less energy than diesel does. The diesel engine only uses exactly the amount of fuel needed, so no waste from running a bit rich etc.The nature of a diesel engine is based on diesel fuels slower burn rate, which is far better suited for applications where torque is needed in the rpm range we like on mowers, and indeed also in cars. and the list goes on, but lets close it here before it gets too nerdy.
  • Why do you run it at 3300 rpm and not full speed?:  Well that is just a choice I made, that it has plenty power at 3300, heck I could have let it run even slower. I just upgeared it on the pulleys, because I'm so nerdy that I like it to run at less rpm's. Also it again helps the fuel economy, as long as the engine has enough torque to handle it.
  • Does it smoke?: when cold, yes it smokes a bit. Otherwise answered I think.
  • How come the 195 goes that fast?: Well the old Kohler did not run 3600 rpm's as intended, and now I have geared it to run 3700 on the hydro. Also the tyres are a good inch over standard size.
  • half a ton machine? ain't that a bit high?: Nope I think it is quite right. the tractor + HD deck + an engine that weighs in at 190 lbs and a larger car battery etc. That should put it in that ballpark.
  • How many hours have you used it and have you had any problems?: A bit more than 20 hours on it now. The clutch is a problem. I had to order a new heavy duty 205 ft/lbs magnetic clutch, as it just fried the smaller one from a 26hp briggs I had put on to begin with. Also the higher compression combustions sends shock waves into the belts, which makes them bounce a lot more. I need to experiment with some better belt guides. Belt slipping is also a thing on the deck, as the engine really is stronger than the belt setup originally was designed to handle. Also it being an aircooled diesel, the banging from the combustions are rather loud. I need to figure out some sound dampening under the hood.
  • Any drawbacks?: Covered I think. Oh yes the size. You need a shoehorn to fit it, and a bit of creativity. Would imagine it would be a more direct swap for an XI or D series.
  • in your fuel calculations you say a saving of 215$ a year without magic potion. What are you saying?: I assume you are referring to the magic potion comment. Many mix in some form of magic. stabilizers, 2-stroke oil, seafoam etc. None of that is accounted for in the calculation. Just regular low cost pump gas.
  • Is it loud?: Answered I think.
  • idle rpm?: I have it set at 1250 as I find it to be the sweet spot.
  • Whats the bottle at your left foot? that is a temporary solution. The return lines from the injectors end there. They need to go to tank naturally. Just a rough test setup this is :-)
  • What clutch do you use?: I have an Extreme HD clutch coming in for testing. that should be able to hold it.
  • is it tough to steer now?: Nope not at all, but I do have the gear reduced steering on it. It seems a bit sturdier planted on the front tires, but not as much as if I have weights on the front.
  • how can it mow that nice when you go that fast?: Well I have upgeared the blades to 3900 rpms, and I keep them fresh and sharp.  at that speed and rpms, every blade edge sees a bit over an inch of fresh grass at each swish.

That should cover your little bunch of questions :D

Edited by Skipper
  • Excellent 4

WildmanC120

Is this the engine? They also have a 20hp

25hp v-twin

bc.gold
41 minutes ago, WildmanC120 said:

Is this the engine? They also have a 20hp

25hp v-twin

With a compression ratio of 20:1 this engine should start relatively easy in cold weather, keep that starting fluid on the shelf.

SPECIFICATIONS

ENGINE MODEL DE2V1000
Engine Type Air-cooled, V-twin cylinder, 4-stroke
Combustion System Direct Injection
Bore x Stroke 92x75mm
Total Displacement 997cc
Compression Ratio 20:01
Rated Power 15KW/3000RPM; 16.5KW/3600RPM
Rated Speed 3000/3600RPM
Starting System Electric Start
Fuel Tank Capaity (For option) 12L
Lube 4.0L
Fuel Consumpition ≤240g/kw.h (3000RPM)
≤255g/kw.h (3600RPM)
Fuel Type 0#(Summer),-10#(Winter) Light Diesel
Lube Oil Grade SAE10W40 (CD grade above)
Net Dimension (LxWxH) 580x465x585mm
Net Weight 75kg
  • Like 1

Skipper

Yes that it the engine. There are a few differences though, as that is the previous version. 

Airfilter is changed.

Oilfilter location.

Listed weight is without fueltank and exhaust

• Like 1

Skipper

I had a hydro pedal kit like that, but someone gave me an offer on it that I could not refuse. :-)  Luckily I know where to get more of em :D

Nice Super C. Love your wheel weights too!

I might be able to get an engine your way, just let me know and I'll look into it :-)

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2

Goofey

I will try to get tax smart. Will you please look into sending one over here for me. Thanks for the time spend writing answers for me. :bow-blue:

• Like 1

Stormin

Wouldn't mind a couple of those engines myself. Alas my wallet says no. :(

• Like 1

Skipper
58 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Wouldn't mind a couple of those engines myself. Alas my wallet says no. :(

Might not be as bad as you think. You are not that far from me, and you guys haven't had the balls to leave the EU yet, so easy peasy :teasing-neener: :D

PM me if you want a sharp price on one. Or if there are anything else you UK guys need brought over from the land far far away. I have a container set to leave the US in December.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

stevebo

LOVE IT!!

• Thanks 1

ericj

Will these motors pass US emissions to be allowed to be sold in usa ?

eric j

• Like 1

bc.gold
36 minutes ago, ericj said:

eric j

I think you'll find the new diesel engines manufactured to meet tier 4 standards will be equipped with indirect injection. or common rail.

• Like 1

Skipper
5 hours ago, ericj said:

eric j

Hi Eric

This is a clone of an old school diesel engine. There is no way it will be approved by todays standards. 

That beings said, it is no more a baddie than the other 1 or 2 cylinder china engines being sold in the US. Or for that matter, a lot of other old diesel engines being used today still.

5 hours ago, bcgold said:

I think you'll find the new diesel engines manufactured to meet tier 4 standards will be equipped with indirect injection. or common rail.

Exactly, and DPF with ad blue juice most likely. :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jesse Rieber

Tell me about this engine.  Who makes it etc.  It might make a good replacement in my D160

Goofey
1 hour ago, Jesse Rieber said:

Tell me about this engine.  Who makes it etc.  It might make a good replacement in my D160

What you want to know. He has just answered a million questions and the specs are listed above. Think you have to be specific.

• Confused 1