Skipper

C-195 diesel testing video attempt

Skipper
3 hours ago, Jesse Rieber said:

Tell me about this engine.  Who makes it etc.  It might make a good replacement in my D160

I will be happy to tell you all I know. 

Dimensions are listed in the spec above, but shoot if you need details.

The engine is Chinese made, and there are a number of different factories that make this type of clone engine. This should be the best I'm told. It is widely used in generator and pump applications, also in the Chinese military, and I know there are a few running up in Canada, in saw mills too.

As for the D160 swap, Yes it will certainly give it plenty of power, and a way better fuel economy. Do please make sure that it will fit under the hood. It is a big sucker :-)

• Like 1

Jesse Rieber

Thank you for your response.  I have an Onan in the D-160 which seems ok, however I have noticed that parts sources are drying up as well as person who are knowledgeable and can rebuild it if I need it

• Like 1

Skipper

Yeah I hear that. Those are normally good engines, but also rather expensive to fix when they go wrong, and they do that once in a while. Almost all engines do, or at least have their little quirks.

What makes the Diesel a no-brainer for me is the fuel economy, and the over all economy and longevity. MUCH cheaper than a gasser to run and service. Do your own math, and you will find out how many hours it has to run, before it has paid for it self in savings over a gas engine. In my case it is about 150 hours, after that it is just money in the bank. In the US, it would be around 500 hours before it was free. Should be a disaster if it wouldn't hold up a lot longer than that too. :-)  My Chinese supplier says they normally start to see these engines begin to need parts after 2000 hours or more, depending on how they were cared for. If you don't mind swapping parts etc, they say it might very well do upwards of 4000 hours. Well, I got 20 hours on my test machine so far, so I guess I'll be able to commend on that in about 80 years. :ROTF:

I mean, heck, if it only last the 1000 hours they warrant, it is still way better than putting the money in shares :D  And a 1000 hours are for most, a really long time on a GT. About 30 years of average use that is !

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2

Skipper

Oh and I forgot to mention that it also comes in a 1 cylinder version, that are significantly cheaper and easier to fit. Also electric start and all. That is rated at 12hp, but in reality, it will too go a lot higher in tractor applications. That would be a very sweet swap for any of the single cylinder horses out there, I would imagine. Probably would fit even under the hood of the old C series too.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold
18 hours ago, Skipper said:

What makes the Diesel a no-brainer for me is the fuel economy

This pair of 7 horse power Lister engines went into service 1960 running a refrigeration system for a walk in freezer on a mink ranch that ceased operations in the 80's.

Twenty years in service running 24/7 then resting for the last 39 years both engines were fired up a week ago your chances of a gasoline engine firing after sitting at rest for 39 years are next to nil.

Points and condensers deteriorate with time wiring insulation breaks down and this often includes the magneto coil and seals stiffen up.

Diesel is a light viscosity fuel oil that tends to lubricate parts that is comes into contact with, from my personal experience diesel engines are able to stand for years then quickly brought back to life.

I've made an offer on this pair of Lister engines and by the sounds of it I maybe making a road trip.

lister.jpg

eng.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Goofey

Read your post on grass types and so on. Remembered this thread. Can you give us an update? Is it still going strong? How many hours on it and any problems so far? 

• Like 1

Skipper

Yes sure. An update I can manage :-)

It now has just about 60 hours on it, and I haven't spared it in any way. There has been absolutely ZERO problems relating to the engine. It just purrs along so nicely. Changed the oil at 50 hours again, after the break in oil changes i did from the get go. About 40 hours use, and it was just darker transparent brown like dark honey. Next change in a year, or 100 hours, what ever comes first. It uses a little bit of oil. Not much, but a little refill every 20 hours dont hurt. I have a feeling it uses a bit in the warm up period. I have gone thru it, to tightened up bolts etc, but found none that needed any tightening, or any other issues. Besides being loud, it has so far just been a rock solid powerhouse. Starts up instantly on the first revolution, and just sips fuel in a mannered pace. I have a good feeling about it :-)

For everything around it, yes there has been a few things that needed alterations etc.

Got the return lines made up right, so they now dump fuel back to top of tank.

The drive belt bounced up and down quite a lot, I blame that on the high compression diesel combustion. I had to tighten up the idler spring, and put in some extra belt guides to keep it in check.

Changed the drive pulley up yet a notch to a 6 1/4". The standard is a 5 1/4". Thats giving me a hydro speed of 4000 rpms, at an engine speed of 3350. That is an overdrive of 400 rpms on the hydro, and I haven't noticed any ill effects at all.

The electric warner clutch i installed initially didn't hold up, so I got hold of a nice 205 ft/lbs heavy duty unit, that has a .5" larger than standard pulley, giving me 3650 rpms on the deck, at 3350 engine rpms. With the 60" deck standing still, and till it is at full rpms is just around one second, and the engine dips just a little rpms, and lets go of a little brown puff.

This thing pulls the deck so hard now that when something wanted to slip, it was the spindle belt on the deck, and so I have also upped the idler spring on that to give a better grip. I can now see when going into some tough grass that makes the engine sweat, that the B belt I use to drive the deck, is elongated so much that it is thrown up in a nice curve, on the stretch from engine to the "on frame mule pulley", on the slack side.

Maybe you saw the thread where I put half a ton of tires on it too. Those were 31" and 20" 100% water filled tires, so now it weighs in at a ton. It now runs 9.5 mph with the 60" engaged, cutting off 2" of grass on average at full speed. Yes! it mows nicely at 9.5 mph.:D The added weight and the gear up of hydro and deck, combined with absolutely no more belt slip, has put it at where it should be. It uses pretty much all the power the engine has to give. It can pull it slightly down when accelerating hard while cutting grass. Also when i mow and get into areas where the grass is extra thick. It then starts to get a bit golden out the exhaust. Don't have to slow down though, but it is just at the sweet spot now, where it ain't pushed too far so it smokes black, but it is definitely sweating. It is an efficient machine to say the least. Albeit the added half a ton tires has taken it from being a mower rocket, to a heavy beast, but it still gets the job done. Was it only meant for mowing, I would not have loaded the tires up. It would be so much easier on it self, weighing almost half a ton less. But for all the other jobs it does, like hauling, tilling etc. That weight has just put it in a whole nother class.

Just a little fun fact. At full speed, every blade edge meets just shy of 1.4" of grass on every pass. No wonder it saps some serious power :-)

Now next I guess some will think: "well it can't cut nice at that speed, because................."  And you are partly right. It does cut a tiny bit nicer when going slower, but I Cut the grass the evening before yesterday. This is how it looks this morning. I think it's a pass. To me it's not worth the extra time to gain just a little bit smoother cut. I know there is a lot of thatch that needs to be addressed. Tool for that should be next thing to take care of :-)

P5291699.JPG.6749ee9d53b90428ab1e6fdfc95dc702.JPG

Edited by Skipper
Added picture this morning + last line text
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

Pullstart

What a self-review!  :clap:

• Like 1

Skipper
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

What a self-review!  :clap:

Sorry if i got carried away on it. I just can't stop rambling about it. I'm so happy with it, that I just can't shut up about it if someone asks. Didn't mean to make it look like a self review. I see what you mean. That was not the intention. Sorry.

• Excellent 3

chip61

Thanks for the update-enjoyed reading it! I would love to have a diesel

• Like 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Sorry if i got carried away on it. I just can't stop rambling about it. I'm so happy with it, that I just can't shut up about it if someone asks. Didn't mean to make it look like a self review. I see what you mean. That was not the intention. Sorry.

it was perfect, no need for apologies!  If anyone has a question, it’s in here :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Good to see how that Engine swap is in result after a longer periode.

Thanks for the review!👍

• Like 1