Mudrig150

Skid steer safety & hornets

Mudrig150

So we've had the skid loader for years now, and I've just found out how to use it. I know how to use it, and I know that the arms weigh like 200 pounds. You put them up and you become a rocking chair. I went to rescue 2 little baggers to try and unstick the motors to sell them, first one was fine, but when I got halfway down to our shed I quickly learned that there was a MASSIVE hornet's nest inside the second one. Of course, I lifted the arms and immediately the skid loader started tipping forward. Rocked backward and just about flipped the thing over. I did manage to get out unscathed, and I flipped the sweeper to find at least 50, maybe 60 hornets living in it. Thank god I wasn't on too big of a hill.

The moral: Don't try to rescue sweepers, you'll almost flip your skid loader.

• Like 1

DougC

Hornets love me...... They follow me where ever I go and build their nests as close to my house, garage, barn , deck and patio as they can. 

They love to chase me from the house to the garage where I keep an entire years supply of wasp and hornet spray foam that shoots out 20 feet.

I love to go on the attack with a spray can in each hand a RedSquare hat on my head and safety glasses. (I'm fully clothed as well of course....)

So far I have won every battle of an on going hornet war.with no end in sight.

I am currently  looking at army surplus flame throwers on line..........:lol:

• Like 1

Zeek

Mine were yellow jackets in a huge ground nest in ferns, but after getting stung twice and unloading four cans of spray into a huge nest with zero results I had to call in the big gun$.

IMG_0339(2).jpg.7146f8067e686d8cb436e9f807b41a0a.jpg

• Like 2

bc.gold
2 hours ago, DougC said:

Hornets love me...... They follow me where ever I go and build their nests as close to my house, garage, barn , deck and patio as they can. 

They love to chase me from the house to the garage where I keep an entire years supply of wasp and hornet spray foam that shoots out 20 feet.

I love to go on the attack with a spray can in each hand a RedSquare hat on my head and safety glasses. (I'm fully clothed as well of course....)

bugs.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

roadapples
7 hours ago, Zeek said:

Mine were yellow jackets in a huge ground nest in ferns, but after getting stung twice and unloading four cans of spray into a huge nest with zero results I had to call in the big gun$.

IMG_0339(2).jpg.7146f8067e686d8cb436e9f807b41a0a.jpg

Had a nest of yellow jackets in a hole in my yard a few years ago. Put the push mower over the hole and left it sit there 'till it ran out of gas. Problem solved...

• Like 2

squonk

Napa 4700 Brake cleaner. Shoots them down quick. I got into a dogfight with wasps a few weeks ago. Reallcool watching them get hit and crash into the ground. I called it the Battle of Midway :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

CasualObserver

1% Tempo dust does wonders.

Zeek
21 hours ago, roadapples said:

Had a nest of yellow jackets in a hole in my yard a few years ago. Put the push mower over the hole and left it sit there 'till it ran out of gas. Problem solved...

I would have tried anything . . . this nest was about 3' x 4'. At night I would hit it with spray and the whole area would hum. I also learned from the exterminator that they have multiple entrances, I guess like the wasp fire exit. He told me that when I said one night I was dowsing it with spray at the entrance and a couple of them came from another area and let me know they spotted me. I dropped the can and ran  :help:

Edited by Zeek
  • Sad 1

Dakota8338

I have had my share of encounters will not only yellow jackets but also hornets,  Being stung is usually the first indication a nest is anywhere nearby.  Crossing a fence, mowing string trimming & just walking past have all produced encounters with both, but more often with the yellow jackets. 

Once the location is determined, returning at night with a liberal application of diesel, is usually sufficient to eliminate the little demons. 

Edited by Dakota8338
spelling

The Tuul Crib
On 9/17/2019 at 2:56 PM, DougC said:

:text-yeahthat:

The Tuul Crib

We had some kind of European yellow jackets that got in the weep holes  in the brick of the house two years ago.  They made a huge nest that I found in the basement of one of our rooms. It took forever to get rid of them . 

adsm08

Hornet control kit:

cqbrakeclean.jpg

+

maxresdefault.jpg

=

shooting-flamethrower-manly.jpg