Mudrig150

4 dead motors

ZXT
10 hours ago, Stepney said:

B&S FB, serial on the flywheel dates it as a 1921 model F, however the engine is definitely a 23/24 FB. I have a feeling it's a bit of a mutt.. but it's also nearly 100 years old. 

In my experience, mutts are generally the best. Do you know the difference between an F and an FB? I don't and am curious.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Stepney
15 minutes ago, ZXT said:

In my experience, mutts are generally the best. Do you know the difference between an F and an FB? I don't and am curious.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

The F has a drip oiler on the cylinder like a stationary open crank engine. But it also has an oil pan and pump like this one.. they should have kept the drip oiler, it helps replace all the oil that is lost through the bearings. 
The F also has a slightly different carb. Otherwise they're pretty close. 

• Like 1

ZXT
9 minutes ago, Stepney said:

The F has a drip oiler on the cylinder like a stationary open crank engine. But it also has an oil pan and pump like this one.. they should have kept the drip oiler, it helps replace all the oil that is lost through the bearings. 
The F also has a slightly different carb. Otherwise they're pretty close. 

Thanks for the info! I looked them up yesterday and saw the oiler on the F. Figured that was on of the differences. 

Why the pan and the pump if they had a drip oiler? That's odd.

Stepney
1 minute ago, ZXT said:

Thanks for the info! I looked them up yesterday and saw the oiler on the F. Figured that was on of the differences. 

Why the pan and the pump if they had a drip oiler? That's odd.

The dripper was basically there intentionally to replace the lost oil. Guess they thought they fixed something with the FB .. well they didn't haha. Pretty much all the rest is the same. Still has a cam driven oil pump for the rest of the internals. 

• Like 1