midpack

Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh Automotive) Bead breaker

midpack

I don't mind changing tires with "spoons". Dad had an auto repair shop, and I inherited his tools.

what I have the most trouble with is breaking the bead. HF had a Labor day sale so i picked up a bead breaker.

putting it together, it doesn't exactly look "robust" but I wasn't expecting "Snap On" quality.

got a chance to use it last night on a 12" rim, and I have to say, the dang thing worked great!

only problem I had was the part with the radius that you want to get close to the rim kept wanting to slide inward and get hung up on the rim itself. i held it in place with my foot until it got under the edge.

all in all, I'm glad I picked it up. I'll probably break it all down again so I can store it in it's original box.

• Like 1

WHNJ701

for really stubborn tires to break the bead lay a 2x6 across part of tire and drive a vehicle up on it.

pacer

I got one 4-5 yrs ago --- been a life $ saver---- for breaking the bead anyway. To mount the tire.... not so much.  After 2-3 tries I could tell that the design was just flimsy, I had never had much problem mounting the tire anyway, just breaking the bead. So I just go ahead and mount the tire the old way.

No doubt with the cost of the rig it IS limited. On more than one occasion I have had a tire that I just could not break loose with it (These tractor tires get rusty pretty badly) I has seen somewhere - youtube/post?? this was  guy having this trouble, got his propane torch and heated around the rim where the tire made contact --- and viola!! it popped loose. I tried this and sure enough, works great!