CountryRock

*UPDATED MORE INFO* Onan P216 voltage regulator and other electrical issues

CountryRock

As the title says, I need to make sure I hooked my regulator back up properly.  The two black wires I know go to the ac terminals, but I think I messed up the red and white wires.

Update: I verified the regulator and tins were clean and the reg was installed properly.  I found that the red wire has power to it whether the ignition switch is on or off.  The white or grey wire has no power off or on.  Both go down to a 9 pin connector.  I disconnected the battery for now so that nothing would get messed up and I'm charging it too.  What should the correct hookup be for those wires?  Am I also looking at a bad ignition switch?  

IMG_20190902_200852.jpg

IMG_20190902_200901.jpg

IMG_20190903_115107.jpg

IMG_20190903_115117.jpg

Edited by CountryRock
More info

Achto

The wire that goes to the center post on the reg should have power when the switch is on & be dead with the switch off. disconnect both wires. turn the switch on & see which one has power with the switch on.

• Like 1

CountryRock

The white wire has a female spade terminal with a tab on it to hook another wire to. 

product-details.png

CountryRock

Updated original post.

lynnmor

The two AC wires coming up from behind the flywheel go to the outside terminals.  The red wire goes to the center.  If you have a tachometer, a gray wire piggybacks on one of the outside terminals.

You mentioned the 9 pin connector.  That has been a headache for many, so unplug the connector and look for burning and corrosion.  The second biggest headache is the fuse block, so pull the fuses, clean and check the underside for burning and corrosion.

• Like 1

CountryRock
55 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

The two AC wires coming up from behind the flywheel go to the outside terminals.  The red wire goes to the center.  If you have a tachometer, a gray wire piggybacks on one of the outside terminals.

You mentioned the 9 pin connector.  That has been a headache for many, so unplug the connector and look for burning and corrosion.  The second biggest headache is the fuse block, so pull the fuses, clean and check the underside for burning and corrosion.

There isn't a tach, but that wire is still there.  I will take a closer look at the 9 pin connector and fuse block when I get time. Thanks.