ebinmaine

The "Colossus" project

Greentored

A little late to the party as per usual, but scanned some posts and photos and am definitely following along now.  

This thing is going to be awesome!!!!!:handgestures-thumbup::handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cvans

Nice to see the progress. Coming along nicely. Who's the old guy doing the welding?????? :lol:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Cvans said:

Nice to see the progress. Coming along nicely. Who's the old guy doing the welding?????? :lol:

That's me in my physical form. Not quite 50.

Mental form, clearly right around 5.

:happy-bouncyredfire:

42 minutes ago, Greentored said:

A little late to the party as per usual, but scanned some posts and photos and am definitely following along now.  

This thing is going to be awesome!!!!!:handgestures-thumbup::handgestures-thumbup:

Good to have you along. I hope you're very patient.

:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Cvans
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Mental form, clearly right around 5.

I think my wife of almost 50 years is finally coming to grips with the fact that this is in deed possible, :thumbs:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

19richie66
3 minutes ago, Cvans said:

I think my wife of almost 50 years is finally coming to grips with the fact that this is in deed possible, :thumbs:

Oh mine knows only after 10 years if not way before that  :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Cvans said:

3 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Oh mine knows only after 10 years if not way before that  :laughing-rolling:

that may possibly be most of the reason Trina even was attracted to me in the first place

:banana-parachute:

• Haha 4

Pullstart

He EB.  Check this out!  Here’s a front axle that a guy like me and you is used to... next to one from a GT-14.  WOW this thing is huge in every dimension!

389BAAF3-2554-45B2-BDBA-3902A965521E.jpeg

7FCE5B7E-0910-4B46-8296-D18BA34E5DDD.jpeg

E2C3CE3F-2BDD-44D8-A26A-4B3CD6E16081.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Gimme a few...

I got some Awesomer work done today.

:handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

8ntruck

Looks good.  We're you considering weighted front wheels on Colossis?  If so, you could cast some lead inside the axle instead of adding front wheel weights. 

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Looks good.  We're you considering weighted front wheels on Colossis?  If so, you could cast some lead inside the axle instead of adding front wheel weights. 

How does one go about that?

I'm not concerned with the front so much but the rear hitch/frame braces would be a candidate for it.

Stormin
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

How does one go about that?

I'm not concerned with the front so much but the rear hitch/frame braces would be a candidate for it.

My way be to leave one end cap off, then pour molten lead into the box section. Finally weld the other end cap on.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Stormin said:

My way be to leave one end cap off, then pour molten lead into the box section. Finally weld the other end cap on.

What does it take to be able to melt lead?

wallfish

Or, fill it with lead shot

https://www.rotometals.com/lead-shot/

Or, if you have a bunch of drawers or boxes full of hardware fill it with that. Anything is better than nothing. You can add steel powder too.

Use whatya got

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Stormin
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

What does it take to be able to melt lead?

Not a lot. It's rather like solder. You can use an old pan, preferably with a pouring lip. Put you lead into it and place on a camping stove. If you have a flame torch or oc/acet cutting gear use that.

I've a quantity of lead flashing from eldest son in laws roof. To well off to weight it in. So I did, but kept half for myself. Used some for the Black Horses wheel weights. Still plenty left. Want some? :D

Or a John said. Fill with lead shot.

Edited by Stormin
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Want some

Yeah jump on the plane and bring it over

• Haha 5

8ntruck

Lead melts at something like 625 degrees F.  A propane torch would do it.

I'm planning on filling the 2x2 square tube on the receiver hitch I'm going to make for my horse with lead.  I'm planning on wielding a solid end cap on one end and an end cap with a 1" hole on the other end.  Stand the tube on end and fill it through the hole.  I'm not comfortable making a weld joint on a lead filled pipe with no vent.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

end cap with a 1" hole

so you just fill it until the lead starts flowing at the top and leave it? Clean it up later....

8ntruck
16 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

so you just fill it until the lead starts flowing at the top and leave it? Clean it up later....

Haven't done it yet, but that's my plan.  Another option would to thread the hole and close it with a bolt or set screw after pouring the lead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stormin

35 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm not sure if the lead, when cooled would stay put over time. Two options.

(1) As 8ntruck says. And I should have mention a vent hole.

(2) Drill a hole or two through the box section to take some bar. Weld the ends to the box section and clean up, then pour in the lead. That'll secure the lead.

No second end cap needed.

Edited by Stormin
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Another solution will maybe cast some Lead Blocks.

firstly form a piece of wood that fits into your Steelpipes ( a bit thinner to have a small expansion gap)

then hulled this Piece of wood with a vinyl foil and some clay to get the lead in Shape as a Block.

Melt the Lead in an old pot ( better outside because of poisoned fumes) and fill into the clayform when it‘s dried to cast

if the lead is cold, you can drill a small hole with a followed thread in the side of the Leadblock you get as result

and a after that drill a bit bigger hole into the Frame and simple screw the so generated Leadblocks in.

If you like, you can paint the Leadblock before you screw it in and it can be easily beeing removed at any Time later.

That doesn‘t contaminate the Steel itself in any Way - and it can be removed for maybe later repair weldings.

With that Leadblocks you be also able to balast your Axle as needed.

Another Advance is, you can screw that Leadblock Anywhere wherever some Weight is needed.

That would be a Way i will go.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1

Pullstart

Looks great Eric!

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Looks great Eric!

Is it weird that I figured out over the weekend I like the smell of welding?

• Haha 4

Stormin

Many years ago in the UK, welders were entitled to a pint of milk a day, to wash the fume deposits down.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Many years ago in the UK, welders were entitled to a pint of milk a day, to wash the fume deposits down.

I like milk

• Haha 1