snowhound

Battery drained on 414-8

snowhound

My 414-8 with a M series motor is still draining the battery when it isn't used.  When I connect the negative cable and positive battery post to my meter I get a reading of 1.7 volts.  I removed the main fuse and repeated the test and got a reading of 6.8 volts.  Any ideas on why the volts went up when I removed the fuse?  

Thanks

Ed

WHX??

What's the condition of the battery or in other words how old is it? These batteries generally only last 3 or 4 years. Some more some less depending on the luck of the draw and how much one pays for the battery.

You may have a shorted internal condition with the battery. Pull the battery and charge it with a trickle charger. After a period disconnect the charger and read the voltage. Let it set and recheck after  a couple of days and see if the voltage dropped significantly. If it did the battery is toast. 

Plan B will be to check that the tractor does have a partial short in some wiring or component to ground draining the battery. With having 24 tractors and 20 with batteries most of my problems like this is a toasted battery but not unheard of to have a draw off the battery with even the key out of the tractor. :)

• Like 2

953 nut

Much of your wiring components live near the battery and are subject to vibration. Fumes from the battery can cause corrosion and vibration can loosen the connectors. Both of these will cause electrical resistance and or conduction to ground if a faulted connector is near a grounded connector. Nearly all wiring connectors on a Wheel Horse have several wires and some in the ignition/safety wiring are grounded with the key OFF. If the corrosion is between a powered wire and a grounded wire you will have current flow.

Vibration causes the connections to loosen - corrosion starts within the metal terminals and a voltage drop develops across the corrosion. The electrical formula (Ohm's Law) to calculate power is current squared times resistance so 2 amps x 2 amps x 1000 ohm resistance = 4000 watts !!

100 watts of connector heating is the same as laying a 100 watt soldering iron on the connector. The heat will aggravate the problem.

2018653524_1electrical.jpg.45b042ee75eb384f70289498726e7a3a.jpg

• Like 1

snowhound

Thanks for the reply, I've tried 3 batteries in it with the same results.  The more I dig into it the more I find there are 2 live wires that are disconnected and just swinging in the breeze that I need to find a home for and some taped wires that are questionable.  I've downloaded the wiring diagram and hope to be able to get the wiring correct. My biggest problem is time, or that is the lack of it.  I thought once I retired I'd have plenty of time to work on my 10 tractors but that hasn't worked out.  

• Heart 1

Daddy Don

I put a battery cut off switch on MY WH so if has a battery drains the cut off switch stops any current going from the battery to the key switch. Solved my problem with battery drain.  

Edited by Daddy Don
  • Confused 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, Daddy Don said:

I put a battery cut off switch on MY WH so if has a battery drains the cut off switch stops any current going from the battery to the key switch. Solved my problem with battery drain.  

In this case that would be like putting a band-aid on a broken arm! Sounds like the wiring has been compromised by a previous owner to the point it needs to be redone.

WHX??

If your meter has the ability to read amps you can connect it in series with the + post on the battery and the cable to see if you have leakage current. If you do then its just a matter of disconnecting stuff till the leakage current goes away and there will be your problem. it will probably be a very small draw so your meter will have to read milliamps which most digital multi meters can do.

3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

In this case that would be like putting a band-aid on a broken arm! Sounds like the wiring has been compromised by a previous owner to the point it needs to be redone.

I would have to agree with Richard on that Don. A cure to the problem sure but not the cause.

• Excellent 1

lynnmor

As WHX24 said, but start with ungrounding the voltage regulator.