chiefsb30

Opinions on a C121

Ed Kennell

Chris,

Sorry I couldn't spend more time with you last night when I dropped off the tractor and snow blower.   But we were on a mission to get back to Palmira for our grandsons 2nd baseball game.

We did really get in the parade of Corvettes  leaving the Carlisle show.   

I wanted to talk to you about the fuel system.   I didn't have a chance to do any cleaning of the system.    I would add about 3-4 oz. of Seafoam to the fuel that is in the tank now and run that concentration through the tractor.  Then I would change the fuel filter and add new fuel.   If there is a starting problem after the Seafoam treatment, I would remove the carburetor jets and clean them with carb cleaner and spray the cleaner in the jet holes.  Install the jets gently till they bottom out, then back them out two turns.   It should start and run fine.

Then you can fine tune the low and high speed jets  by searching for the max RPM as detailed in your manual.

Good luck,  Ed

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

clueless
36 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Chris,

Sorry I couldn't spend more time with you last night when I dropped off the tractor and snow blower.   But we were on a mission to get back to Palmira for our grandsons 2nd baseball game.

We did really get in the parade of Corvettes  leaving the Carlisle show.   

I wanted to talk to you about the fuel system.   I didn't have a chance to do any cleaning of the system.    I would add about 3-4 oz. of Seafoam to the fuel that is in the tank now and run that concentration through the tractor.  Then I would change the fuel filter and add new fuel.   If there is a starting problem after the Seafoam treatment, I would remove the carburetor jets and clean them with carb cleaner and spray the cleaner in the jet holes.  Install the jets gently till they bottom out, then back them out two turns.   It should start and run fine.

Then you can fine tune the low and high speed jets  by searching for the max PM as detailed in your manual.

Good luck,  Ed

:text-yeahthat:Like I said, you bought it from the right guy :handgestures-thumbupright:.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

chip61

In the last few days I've mowed with my 416, C141 and C160. C160 is still my favorite. You got a great tractor!

• Like 1

chiefsb30

Ed, no problem, and thanks again. I've played around with it some, particularly with cold starts (I tore down part of the work bench in my garage to be able to park it in there yesterday) and I had no real issues getting it running. I will definitely put some sea foam in it regardless, swap the fuel filter, and I'll be switching to non-ethanol for my small motors this fall. 

• Excellent 1

ohiofarmer

I think you did great.  A 12 is OK to pull up to a 48" deck if one does not drive too fast. That hydro trans does suck some power, but probably not too bad at snow blowing speeds. I have a c-141 that I swapped a good running 12 into simply because the 14 is really tired with an egg shaped cylinder. There is no substitute for displacement when that snow gets heavy.

Gonna try my first mild rebuild on a cast iron k [10 HP}. If that is successful, the 14 is next. I got lucky and scored a cheap 10 HP on a rather knackered short hood, a decent replacement starter-generator 10 HP [engine only], a free with  trade 8 HP that will have some tins supplied by a well known person here.  Oh, and a pretty nice B-80 The list goes on.

Wow, that is a lot in a year, and i did not even see it coming.

Honestly, I would rather buy a rebuilt K-16 than spend money rebuilding an Onan for my 520, but that is just my opinion

Keep us posted....

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1