Vincez

Creative mechanics... pto SAFETY sWITCHES

Vincez

I have a 310-8 tractor (1989)..  I've tried a couple time to replace the PTO switches that don't allow the tractor to start if not disengaged.  Does anyone know how I might bypass this situation, instead of jump starting the engine???  Also, I am concern about jump starting directly to the Starter, for fear of burning ti out - - I already burnt out the solonoid - - ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED!

lynnmor

It worked when new, so replace or repair switches or wiring as needed.  Perhaps you have a bad ignition switch.  Do you have the wiring diagrams?

• Like 1

chip61

Does your engine have the low oil level switch on it?? As mentioned before, wiring diagram helps a lot

gwest_ca

Click on the picture

Garry

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

It worked when new, so replace or repair switches or wiring as needed. 

.  Do you have the wiring diagrams?

I agree. never a good idea to bypass a safety switch but especially one for the PTO.

You need to make very sure that all of your ground connections are removed cleaned and reinstalled.

From there, it's time to get the schematic diagram and a DVOM or at least a test light and begin eliminating which circuits are working, or not.

There should not be any issue about burning out a solenoid or a starter unless there is some other electrical issue down the line such as either a short, broken connection, bad ground, Etc.

gwest_ca

Be real careful working with the two pto switches. One controls the starter and the other controls the ignition. You have magneto ignition and if any battery power gets to it you will release the magic smoke from the coil.

Garry

• Like 1