Wheelhorse Wes

1957 ride away jr worth??

Wheelhorse Wes

I know it looks tough . There is a Plow that goes with it, plus the original rear tires and rims.....what is it worth? Older gentleman is 94 and his wife is 91. She bought it for him at an auction sale in 1963 to make his life easier in the garden. He also had a snow Plow with it he used every winter for pushing snow but that is long gone. Plus the original Kohler engine he told me blew up years back and he himself jimmy rigged that old Briggs into it. I didn’t want to upset him about what a hack job he did destroy ing the hood so I kept that to myself. Told me he turned down $1300 (Canadian) remember I’m up here in Ontario Canada

I know it’s a 1957 ride away jr but I have no clue if I should step up and pay that ???

please let me know guys...

oh and the belt guard and that is there too

82550DD9-A15F-4FD4-9389-D969443CAB6C.jpeg

Wheelhorse Wes

So the story of how I came about locating this little fella.......I’m 34 years old back when I was 17 my family were coming home from a tractor show and hour away , came through this little town and I spotted this Wheelhorse beside there old garage. Dad did a quick turn around and we stopped in. The gentleman said he was still using it for the garden work so it wasn’t for sale...( the Kohler was in it and the hood wasn’t chopped back then if my memory serves me right)

ive always thought about whatever happened to the old tractor whenever I’d drive by the house...I always wanted to stop in and see if it was there but something was always happening like in a hurry to get home or there was no vehicle there........today we happened to be near the town and I thought of the tractor and said I’m going there and today there was a vehicle there. I knocked on the door and told the son (60) years old how my dad had stopped in years ago, he agreed to let me in the house to talk to his parents. They were so happy to talk to me about it and tell me stories about the old RJ. The son brought me out back to the run down old garage that it sits in. Apparently it hasn’t ran in 2 years. He agreed that I could take some pictures. The father does not want to sell it but the wife says she bought it years back so she gets the say

she told me that when they have passed away the son is in charge of it and he can sell it then. I got his number and they wanted mine. Was invited back to visit anytime so I’m holding onto that relationship. I’m hoping and praying I’m in line for it in the future 

• Like 2
  • Heart 3

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, Wheelhorse Wes said:

Told me he turned down $1300 (Canadian) remember I’m up here in Ontario Canada

Sentimental value= over   $1300 

Actual value  ~  $50 - $150

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Rode hard and put away sopping wet...

I'm with Ed, you're looking at a parts tractor at best there. 

Wheelhorse Wes

I’ve started with way way way less. I guess it’s a matter of how much I want a 57’ in my collection 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Wheelhorse Wes

4C34282B-D032-46CD-8BF0-6EDB1EFDA127.png.1f4519be364936b2fe7b0625fdc7a660.pngA1153116-9195-4EA5-9206-F0A9F4FAD2B5.png.b1e2d200372632d9cceab9c869a2c7d2.pngThis is the “JUNK” everyone called it when I started...note this is actually my 753 did not know at the time is wasn’t a 702

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

WHNJ701

I doubt someone offered 1300.  if that's in your price range your better off searching for a nicer one and having it shipped via fastenal.  I have restored worse tractors but the purchase price was more inline.  as said above I do not see that selling for more than 150 us

• Like 1

Wheelhorse Wes

Everyone up here in Canada have prices high for old garden tractors no matter what brand. John Deere’s are the worst but up here Wheelhorse tractors are around but it seems that they are more a “dime a dozen” over the border. Wish I lived in the states I’d getting better deals lol

• Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

WHNJ701

Maybe I should bring my entire collection up there to sell off!  

how hard is it to bring them over the border?

Edited by jabelman

bc.gold
17 minutes ago, Wheelhorse Wes said:

Everyone up here in Canada have prices high for old garden tractors no matter what brand. John Deere’s are the worst but up here Wheelhorse tractors are around but it seems that they are more a “dime a dozen” over the border. Wish I lived in the states I’d getting better deals lol

My bet is you wouldn't find 12 of those in the whole of Canada, on your next visit show the folks some horse pictures of your restorations.

Have prints made and leave these with them it will still up memories of the original glory of how their Jr. looked years ago when they first won that auction.

• Like 1

bc.gold
12 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Maybe I should bring my entire collection up there to sell off!  

how hard is it to bring them over the border?

When used Toyota pick ups were heading south for resale the box was removed then installed upside down on the chassis, ,maybe if you removed the fuel tank and seat it could enter as parts.

One of my girl friends used to operate a store with fuel sales, she closed the store and quit selling fuel but was still being taxed as commercial on her property tax's.

I decommissioned the fuel pump by removing the breaker then instructed her have the assessor come out, once he seen that the power to the pump had been terminated gave her relief from the commercial assessment.

Edited by bcgold

Wheelhorse Wes

I just show the border guard my receipt of how much I bought the tractor for then away I go. I’ve never brought a whole tractor over the border to sell but I did have my truck loaded with parts I sold down at the big show and the border guard never said anything about what I was going to sell