oldredrider

Glass mat battery

oldredrider

Any problem running a glass mat battery in a Kohler powered Horse? Necessity requires this route...at this point 

• Like 1

JAinVA

Can't say about WHs but if you can fit one in your application I highly recommend one,When they fit that is all I use.Really tough and long lasting!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I've heard of them before but am not familiar with the technology.

What would be the ups and downs possible?

squonk

Plenty of power and last a long time. I had one in my Goldwing

ebinmaine

Did a little reading on then this morning.

The only downsides I can find is that a glass mat doesn't want to be charged quite as much as a "flooded" battery, and they should not be kept too hot.

Here's a quote from Battery University:

As with all gelled and sealed units, AGM batteries are sensitive to overcharging. A charge to 2.40V/cell (and higher) is fine; however, the float charge should be reduced to between 2.25 and 2.30V/cell (summer temperatures may require lower voltages). Automotive charging systems for flooded lead acid often have a fixed float voltage setting of 14.40V (2.40V/cell); a direct replacement with a sealed unit could overcharge the battery on a long drive. (See BU-403: Charging Lead Acid.)

AGM and other sealed batteries do not like heat and should be installed away from the engine compartment. Manufacturers recommend halting charge if the battery core reaches 49°C (120°F). 

• Like 2

1995 520H+96+97

The reproduction Autolite group 27 battery in my 1966 F250 is glass mat. I have had it since 2008, if I use it daily(which i don't) it will work. 

If it sets for a few days it may start. I am sure that when driving in a parade 90 degrees the battery is more than 120 F. :wh:

72 F to 77 F in the cab, depending if the sun is out, or cloudy.:wh:

Edited by 1995 520H+96+97
  • Like 1

adsm08

I would imagine that an AGM would hold up better than a flooded unit in a lawn tractor. They are supposed to stand up to vibrations better.

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Glass Matt Battery's, here also known as AGM types (absorbed glass mat)

are a bit different to Lead Acid Batteries or to Gel battery‘s

On the smaller ones ( from 5 til 80 Ah), have similar loading charakteristics like Gel Batteries. Typical 14.4V max Loading Voltage.

The bigger ones (100Ah and up) have a changed Loading curve and 14,6V max charging Voltage.

AGM have a few Advantages to Lead Acid or even Gel batteries, what will be:

they can be carried by plane, because just few bit of Acid.

they beeing more Save while less Acid, what is bound in the Glass Matt, in case of Crash or damage.

they be able to produce a High Current, what was ideal for Starter Applications or for Inverter Use

they are able to work with Vehicle chargers, they will maybe not 100%charged, but they last in opposite to Gel batteries.

Disadvantages:

they not usable longer for Traction use like RV or Caravans.

they dies fast if overcharged, once the get warm while charging, they nearly done.

they should not be stored or used except upright position.

they must be recharged quick, but not as quick as Lead Acid‘s

i‘m workin since 1996 in all my Motocycles with AGM and the last longer than any other Battery’s i used before. (lead Acid or Gel Types)

My oldest Battery is in my Scooter, where lead Acid lasts just 2-3years, the AGM is now 8years in, without a felt powerloss.

in a Mower it can be used without problems, as long as it will not be overcharged.

Edited by Tractorhead
Misstype
  • Like 1

Stormin

How do they compare on price with a equivalent lead acid battery?

Tractorhead

Depends on your dealer,

sometimes they are priced similar to gel battery‘s, sometimes the are pricey up,

sometimes they priced like normal lead acid battery‘s.

formariz
On 8/17/2019 at 1:31 AM, oldredrider said:

Any problem running a glass mat battery in a Kohler powered Horse? Necessity requires this route...at this point 

I have used one for years (I think going on 7) on a round hood due to space constrictions from engine change. They are great although expensive. If recharge needed do a little research .They have particular charging needs and are sensitive to that.

oldredrider

Thanks Cas. Sounds like we're in a parallel universe. I've been building a Franken Tractor and because of space restrictions, had to go with a glass mat. Picked up a used one cheap that needed a charge. Fortunately, one of my chargers has the AGM setting. 

Got it charged up and ended going thru 3 regulators on the tractor to find one that gives it a proper charge; 14.4 volts.

So far so good....

It seems the higher price might be worth it in the long run as conventional (lead/acid) lawn and garden batteries only last a year or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, oldredrider said:

I've been building a Franken Tractor

Do you have a thread on this?

• Haha 1

oldredrider

Sorry, no thread. I like running under the radar! 

Once it's finished I might post a pic or 3.

Here's a teaser...

20190817_110805.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Bean701

AGMs can be much more suitable for a power sport application (which I don’t think is too far off from what most of us do with our :wh:).  Requires a special and expensive charger.  I run an Odyssey in our work UTV and it’s pretty reliable.  

• Like 1

formariz

Actually thinking about it further the one we have used for I think over 6 years has been nothing short of impressive. So impressive that one actually forgets that there is a battery there. All those years never had to be recharged , never a trickle charger in winter, and it is always the go to battery to jump others.

• Excellent 2

Tractorhead

About on the Charging reqirements of AGM Batteries.

There are 2 Way's to solve that.

most of the small GT‘s have just a simple Charging Coil with about 5-20 Amps for Charging.

The Amps vary, but the 2 Charging wires from generator coil are allway's Available.

on some Engines there is the Regulator in the Fan case integrated and just a simple charging wire comes out of.

here it was a bigger rework needed.

The Regulator after, is a simple chargerregulator and can mostly beeing changed.

remove the 2 inlet wires and extend them to the new Regulator.

For small Pinwheels Generator applications, there existing regulators, they have selectable setups, 

also for Lead Acid, Gel and AGM Batteries.

They normally used by 3 wire Generators, but they can also be missused in 2 Wire Generators.

If used in a Wheelhorse, just connect 2 of the 3 available charging Wires to the regulator

i used the both ends and let the third lead (mid lead) unconnected and insulated.

This regulators have a Ground and a Positive Terminal, what makes it easy to exchange it with existing Regulators.

https://www.photovoltaik4all.de/media/pdf/d1/14/47/14de.pdf

but this Selectable Charging regulators has 2 big disadvantages:

1. horrible costs - they start at about 400$

2. huge dimensions.

I had a trial here to test, but i didn‘t see an benefit on them in our envoirement.

More sense makes a bit a Workarround,

what was a simple High Current Diode (30A- 40A  High Current Diode) in line to the existing Charger (on negative Terminal)

The regulator must therefore beeing insulated mounted, to let this work, and the Ground is connected after the Diode.

That means in fact, just the regulator itself and the Charging coil have no physical ground to the Vehicle itself.

In the Groundline (mostly the case) will be attached to Diode and the other side of Diode will be connected to Vehicle Ground.

The cost was at about 5-10$

How to connect ?

like this                           High Current Diode.  

only Regulator Ground     ———->|———-      vehicle Ground + chassis + Battery

how this works?

On the Diode drops about 0,3- 0,4 Volt, so the Voltage increases at this ammount of Volt.

It comes closer to the 14,4V Charging Voltage, and the battery get's fuller.

I use this simple Trick in my KTM Motocycle and in my little Wheelhorse and it works without any problems

in my Wheelhorse since a half year,

in my KTM since 4 Years now.

AGM batteries has one big Advantage, the Cranking Voltage increases,

so it starts even in Winter a bit faster or easier.

• Like 1

squonk

My 84 era Goldwing was know for poor starting characteristics. Bought a rebuilt starter, made oversize cables and installed an Odyssey battery and the bike almost did handstands whilst cranking. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1