Whats my first step 702 Home now

RickyMayhew

Need to know what I should do with This barn find

20190809_075651.jpg

20190809_173532.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

RickyMayhew

First step what should I do everything locked up?

WHX??
7 minutes ago, RickyMayhew said:

Need to know what I should do with This barn find

Sell it to me!?!?!? :ph34r::ychain:

Seriously what are your plans for it? Start by getting all the fluids out and get penetrating oil on fasteners that are gonna give ya trouble.  Pull the deck off and set it aside for now make it easier to work on the rest of the tractor. Then stock up on more Kroil. Take lots and lots of pictures during disassembly so you know how everything was.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

:dunno: Pretty much depends on what your end goal is...

returning it to as show room new, with shiny red paint. 

Or...simply a mechanical resto, that will still retain all of decades old patina? 

RickyMayhew

My plans are just mechanical resto.. To save the patina what should I put on it. Some say wd-40 and white scotch bright.

• Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Looks like it could have some nice patina if you keep it original looking.

As mentioned above, drain the engine, transmission and especially that hydraulic unit.  Fill them with diesel and let them soak a few days. give it a good bath to get any old caked up grease oil dirt off.  if your going to keep the patina scrubbing it with an SOS steel wool pan removes some of the rust, but leaves it nice and old looking, then spray it down with WD 40 to keep it from rusting back while you work on it.  Get a can of your favorite penetrating oil and spray everything that wont move.  walk by every couple of hour and spray them again. 

953 nut

Don't be in a hurry with anything old and rusty (sort of like me)! The bolts going into the aluminum gas tank are the biggest concern, galvanic corrosion has probably "brown welded" them together. If the fastener breaks off in a threaded hole you will need to center tap it and use several progressively larger drills until you work your way out to the tapped threads and then pick out the remains of the fastener.

confucius-say.png.2c93cc0f33cf5a4c46d9b9e33bb8dcf6.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut
7 minutes ago, RickyMayhew said:

My plans are just mechanical resto.. To save the patina what should I put on it. Some say wd-40 and white scotch bright.

Glad to see you plan to celebrate the patina! I have used 400 wet/dry sand paper, 0000 steel wool and WD-40 and the remaining101_2540.JPG.48231f4040fb9ab22440af2ef1894b13.JPG old paint under the rust will show through quite well.

• Like 2

WHNJ701

take lots of pictures of how everything bolts together, even though they are simple it's good to have reference.

look at as separate projects.

tractor, the engine, the mower deck, the hydro system.  don't conquer everything at once.  I would pull the engine out first and go over it, then move on from there. drain that trans too it's probably full of water.

lots and lots of topics about patina resto on here

RickyMayhew

Thank you so much for the help! Just want to do good job on this Wheel Horse and give a fresh breath of air. Just could not stand seeing it everyday rusting away in the brier thicket!

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

WHNJ701

plus you have this site to answer all your qustions.  make sure become a member here to keep it going!

Pullstart

Does the engine turn over?  If so, the diesel flush and oil change would be a great place to start.  Also, there are great threads in the transmission portions of the forum to get it up to snuff too.

I have put seized parts into a bucket of oil/diesel and forgotten them for months in the past to free them up... you might want to grab a few buckets to soak stuff in!

The Tuul Crib

One giant  electrolysis tank should do the trick.  Just find one big enough for the tractor to fit in and plug it in .

well of course piece by piece!

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Haha 1

WHNJ701
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

One giant  electrolysis tank should do the trick.  Just find one big enough for the tractor to fit in and plug it in .

well of course piece by piece!

no way!, red scuff pad and Johnson paste wax, paint the rims antique white, and re decal it from Vinylguy.  that's a show winner!

• Like 1

RickyMayhew

Thank you Guys for all the help. No I will just paint it John Deere green! Just kidding.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

RickyMayhew

Cleaned with sos pads and wd-40. But not very impressive!!! May be to much of a restro for me.

20190818_170115.jpg

20190818_170108.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

WHX??

No that's perfect! Grill is really good shape and nice character dent. I'M thinkin next apply some boiled linseed oil? What say fellas. Try a small spot and see if you like the look Ricky.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

I'd keep going until the surface smooths out a bit more.  :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

RickyMayhew

Thank you I just want to do it right. 

• Heart 1

Pullstart
8 hours ago, RickyMayhew said:

Thank you I just want to do it right. 

57 years of history right there, get it running and driving and it’ll be right :handgestures-thumbupright: