bluelinehiway

310-8 Relay

bluelinehiway

Can anyone help with identifying the relay on a 1986 310-8? The low oil switch runs through it and apparently it must be toast as I'm not getting any clicking sounds or meter readings thru it at startup. The durn thing in my tractor has no ID markings for me to replicate the relay. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

See if this helps. Click on the pictures.

In 1986 if the oil level is OK the relay is not activated. If you can remove the oil level switch wiring from the circuit it would give the same result.

Oil level low the relay is activated and the power to the starter is interrupted.

There are special instructions to remove the oil level switch from the engine without damage. They are no longer available from Kohler.

Detailed wiring diagram

Garry

• Like 1

FarmerJon

How would a person test that oil level relay? My volts going I to it are 13 but coming out to the solenoid is 1.7. My continuity seems fine on the two prongs though. Very confused. 

• Like 1

953 nut

@FarmerJon                 :WRS:

Your question will get a lot more attention if you start your own thread. Just click on this link    https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/65-wheel-horse-electrical/  and then click Start A New Topic and you can ask the question to the whole bunch of us. Please tell us the model number of the tractor you have and what has been done so far.

1357590124_1electrical.jpg.09a00c8eb5fea2bce044ec6e5af0cf27.jpg

Edited by 953 nut
fat finger
  • Like 1

squonk
On 2/1/2023 at 9:32 AM, FarmerJon said:

How would a person test that oil level relay? My volts going I to it are 13 but coming out to the solenoid is 1.7. My continuity seems fine on the two prongs though. Very confused. 

Your relay has 4 terminals. 2 for the relay coil ( 12 volt power and ground) and 2 to activate the internal contact (12 volt power and to solenoid) When cranking if you oil switch is made, power comes from that switch to one side of the relay coil. if the relay ground circuit is good (through the other coil wire) the coil is now energized. (click) Power is also coming from the key switch, neutral switch, PTO switch ect to the 3rd terminal (one side of contact) With the coil now energized the magnetic field of the coil closes the contact. Power now flows from one side of the contact to the other and out to the solenoid.

"My volts going I to it are 13 but coming out to the solenoid is 1.7."  Sounds like the relay contacts are not closing or are burnt

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

squonk

This is not you relay but the concept is the same. The" low current" is the oil switch circuit. High current is the solenoid circuit

Simplified_relay_diagram_Sl.png.b91e2854e745f45c408ee0bf3683484b.png

• Like 1