Jrblanke

Is there a difference between these two solenoids?

bc.gold

Hot lead connects closest to small terminal, and forget about the I terminal as it is not used or supplied on all solenoids.

Your solenoid was intended for use on an engine that came out with HEI system and did not require the I terminal.

Swap the battery leads on your solenoid to correct internal wiring on your solenoid.

4terminal.jpg

Edited by bcgold

Jrblanke

Alrighty, so here is the update. 

I was baffled that the same style solenoid had to be wired up backwards from the one I took off, but you guys were right. It was indeed wired backwards! Come to find out, when I bought a ford starter solenoid, I bought one for an early 1950s ford, so it was a 6v solenoid. So when I hit the key, it just sounded like a machine gun going off. I replaced it with a 12v solenoid (had to put the wires back the way were originally), and it ended up working fine. So it cranks over. I adjusted the points with a match book and was able to get spark. I put the gas tank back on and it cranked right up. Thanks for all the help guys! 

• Excellent 1

posifour11

Sometimes, it just takes stepping back and looking at it from a new perspective. 

Glad you got it figured out!

bc.gold
4 hours ago, Jrblanke said:

Alrighty, so here is the update. 

I was baffled that the same style solenoid had to be wired up backwards from the one I took off, but you guys were right. It was indeed wired backwards! Come to find out, when I bought a ford starter solenoid, I bought one for an early 1950s ford, so it was a 6v solenoid. So when I hit the key, it just sounded like a machine gun going off. I replaced it with a 12v solenoid (had to put the wires back the way were originally), and it ended up working fine. So it cranks over. I adjusted the points with a match book and was able to get spark. I put the gas tank back on and it cranked right up. Thanks for all the help guys! 

Kinda what I had figured, I even opened up a few old solenoids to check out the internals. Started a thread, the Mystery.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/82491-solenoid-internal-mystery/?tab=comments#comment-811854

On that 6 volt solenoid you could have used the heavy battery connection then added a resistor to the start terminal to lower the voltage.

4terminal.jpg

Edited by bcgold