Sign in to follow this  
bustedglass

I am about to blow MY fuse !!!

bustedglass

Hi All,

I need help with my little 1985 B211-3. For those that have read some of my past posts', you will know that my little B211-3 is now a B215.5-5. I replaced my 11 hp. Brtiggs Vert with a 15.5 hp. Briggs Vert last year, and replaced the original 3 speed with a 5 speed a few years ago.

Anyway, I am starting to ramble, and I dont want to bore you because I need some HELP. I was cutting grass the other day and the tractor just stopped :drool: . I checked the fuse, and low and behold, it was blown. I replaced the fuse, and as soon as I turned the key on, the fuse blew.

I pushed the thing back to my shed, and started to check all of the wireing and connections that I could find. I found a couple of wires that looked a little bare, so I ran new wires. As soon as I turned on the key, the fuse blew.

I have little mechanical skills, and I am semi-handicapped, so getting around is not easy. Well, I am at my wits end, and dont know what to look for. So I am asking for anyone to HELP, HELP, HELP !!! :omg: I need to get my grass cut before I need a baler :drool: .

Docwheelhorse

Hmmmm---I hate electrical problems, but seeing as that is a magneto ignition engine I would start by dis-connecting the charging wires where they come out of the engine. This engine must have 1 wire for charging the battery and one for the headlights---the headlights only work with the engine running and you can vary the brightness with engine rpm--right? If that solves the fuse popping issue you know you have a short in the stator or the associated wiring. If that doesn't work I would consider changing the ignition switch---you could pull the switch out and leave it plugged in and try starting the tractor with the switch held in mid-air. The only consequence of this is that the ignition switch grounds to the chassis in order to shut the engine off, you would need to either choke the engine to death or touch the ignition switch to the tractor. If the tractor starts and runs with the switch not touching and then pops the fuse when you do touch it to the tractor you know the switch is shorted out. Does this tractor have an electric PTO clutch???

Tony

bustedglass

Thank You for the reply. No, it does NOT have an electric PTO. I will check the things that you advised, next week, when my neighbor can give me a hand.

Any other suggestions ??? :omg:

bustedglass

Tony (Docwheelhorse),

I tried the things that you suggested, and found that I had a bad stator :drool: .

I changed the stator, and my little tractor is running like a brand new one again :omg: .

Thank You for the reply, and the HELP that I needed. Thanks again, you are great, :drool: .

Docwheelhorse

No problem, I'm glad to help and I'm glad the little guy is off the diabled list! :omg:

Tony