Sign in to follow this  
Brian1045

V belt issues

Brian1045

I just installed a new V belt and it seems to long. It's the Napa (green) brand that I have always used on a WH. Part # 4L700W.

It works fine on my 1045. I'm installing this on a model 857, it calls for the exact same belt. Am I missing something?

When I dump the clutch the pully/belt is hitting the v belt cover and not letting the tractor drive engage, like it's to long. It's a 70" belt just like the #9691.

:omg:

thanks! Brian

Rollerman

Brian is it possible the belt is marked wrong & the wrong size?

Brian1045

I even tried a 69" belt which won't let the gear box disengage. I also took the napa 70" off my 1045 and does the same thing (too long). I noticed that guide from the tenstion pully is slamming into the top of the v belt guard...like it travels to far. It's almost like I need a 69.5" belt.. :omg:

Any other suggestions?

TT

Once you verify that you have the correct 2.5" engine pulley and 4" tranz pulley, measure the distance between shaft centerlines and compare it with your 1045.

If the measurement is off by a substantial amount you'll need to investigate the cause.

You will also want to look closely at the "V" grooves in the pulleys - especially the engine pulley - for excessive wear. If the sides are worn enough to allow the belt to sink deeper into the grooves the belt wouldn't tighten properly.

I'm guessing that you do have the correct idler pulley on the "clutch" arm, right? (width & diameter)

Brian1045

Thanks all ....Good info to double check on. I have a parts tractor with all the pulleys and belts etc. Like TT mentioned...I'll compare all 3 of the tractors (mid 60's) and get back with you. :omg:

Brian1045

I measured all the distances between pullys and the diameters etc. Everything is as it should be. But...For Sh**ts and giggles I took the green belt off of my parts tractor which is a powerated brand 6869 and it worked perfectly :omg:

http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/...FTOKEN=42533714

Enter in WH 9691... powerated shows using 6870 but the 69" seems fine on this tractor.

I'm still plugging away at this.