Staffsargeant

1996 WH 416 Carb

Staffsargeant

Looking for a carb for a Onan engine

lynnmor

Look on online auction sites or check vendors on this site.  I have to ask, why do you need a carb, almost always they can be cleaned or rebuilt.

Staffsargeant
15 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Look on online auction sites or check vendors on this site.  I have to ask, why do you need a carb, almost always they can be cleaned or rebuilt.

Cleaned carb first, ran fine for a while. Back to surging. Could be fuel pump or governor or carb. Runs great on 1/2 choke. Checked with my local Toro/WH dealer, he said Governor & Carb N/A. What could be the problem?

Edited by Staffsargeant

Tuneup

Not an Onan owner but from experience in this group, some have had to clean that carb a number of times before the surging ended. Maybe a can of carb soak would help. I've seen that stuff work wonders on old motorcycle carbs with their tiny passages. Your mentioning that it's good on part choke is the giveaway. More carb fun ahead!

Edited by Tuneup

tunahead72

If it's running well on 1/2 choke, it sounds like it's running too lean without it, have you tried adjusting the carb?  I don't know anything about the Onans, so I'll let some of the more knowledgeable among us help you.  There's probably a manual here on RedSquare that would show you how to adjust the carb.

richmondred01

PM sent.

lynnmor

Pull the intake manifold and check for leaks between the two halves.  Remove carb and clean it properly, removing welch plug above idle mixture screw.  Replace with new welch plug, it may be in a kit or you can buy at an auto parts store.  Reinstall carb and intake manifold using genuine Onan intake gaskets, not aftermarket.  Use new fuel hoses and filter.

Staffsargeant

Fuel pump bad

953 nut

Start at the beginning of the flow path.

Only runs half choked means not enough fuel.

Are you using ethanol free gas?  Ethanol will screw up a fuel system!   Find it here.  https://www.pure-gas.org/

Have you installed a new fuel line and filter, if not you should.

After you have done these check the output of your fuel pump'

If the fuel pump is supplying gas then rebuild or replace the carb.    Don't just start out by assuming the most expensive component is the problem.

• Like 1

peter lena

get some SEAFOAM  in the gas, they also have a seafoam pressure can with a long nozzle for in engine work, really gets after the crud , at walmart  for best price, that half choke sounds familuar  to dirt build up and plugged jetting. i also regularly use STABIL  in all my gas , no problems, an 8 $ bottle will treat 60 gallons of gas . hopefully you will make a gain  letting you run with less choke , not knowing if this fuel system was ever maintained , will let you notice any gains. 953 above makes good  sense to replace fuel lines, and filter , also verify if pump is  pushing fuel. pete

• Like 1