giantsean

K241 Chinese carb

giantsean

Hey guys so I'm still fiddling w/ my surging C101.   Changed out the fuel lines and filter (tank to filter was HORRIBLE - I thought that would alone solve my problem), new gas w/ 2x dose of seafoam, new plug, adjusted governor, mucked with the needles.  Still ides well and runs crappy.  So I pulled off the carb.  Found it generally clean - nothing crazy, but the high speed needle is mashed to oblivion and the jet is never ever coming out again.  Whoever tried taking it out last time opened up the slot so much that it's borderline garbage now.

So luckily for me, previous owner gave me a partially assembled chinese ebay carb - never used.  Oddly it had the OEM bowl while the original had the chinese bowl.  I guess they had tried doing the rebuild without actually pulling off the carb lol.  Anyway, I am now stuck because the fuel elbow from the OEM carb does NOT thread into the China carb.  It starts but then hangs up, and I don't want to wreck it.  Have any of you guys tried an ebay carb and know the thread pitch for the fuel inlet elbow?  Interestingly the air cleaner housing screws thread right in.  Of course I already mounted the carb w/ a new gasket and anyone who's taken off a kohler carb knows that you don't want to repeat that job if you don't have to, so trying to avoid taking it off again unless I absolutely have to :P

The other thing missing (of course) is the ball for the governor rod, but I can find that locally... I think.  STUPID EBAY!

Thanks for any info!

953 nut

The fuel fitting is 1/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread) You wouldn't want to use a tap on those threads with the carb. mounted because the shavings would be likely to get into the needle seat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

clueless

One of my china carbs came with a non 1/8" NPT fitting, end up a the hardware store, took a while but finally found the right connection. I don.t remember what size it was but it was in the section where the small brass and copper gas fitting are. I had my carb with me, yours being already on will make it a little more difficult, the fitting was like the ones that were used when the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb were hard plumbed. 

• Thanks 1

pacer

Yeah what 953 sez - If you got that tap, that would be the quickest fix. The couple I have done I could only get 2-3 rounds with the pipe tap, but that was enough to get a seal. A bit surprised that clue was able to find a fitting that fit.

Heh! those cheap carbs ARE cheap, but with a bit of creative engineering they do work - Obviously only Bill Gates could afford a new Kohler !

Edited by pacer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

giantsean

Thanks boys.  Yeah I don't know why this is annoying me so much other than the fact that it's next to impossible to find "special" stuff around here.  I am convinced that the elbow is a metric (or "special" Chinese thread) so I ended up ordering a ringer carb for parts.  For 20 bucks I think it will come in handy anyway.  I scoured the used selection on Ebay but they all seem a little rough, so will take the silk road first lol.  I briefly thought of the tap too but figured why bother, and yes I already spotted a few shavings just from starting the elbow which freaked me out enough to stop.  I am toying w/ the idea of just replacing the throttle shaft w/ my original anyway (if it even fits) due to the pop ball... why they can't offer a number 26 knockoff carb with the ball amazes me... the isavetractors guy has it but it's 60 bucks!!!  Frustrating.  All the #30 carbs have the ball so don't know what Kohler was thinking with these.

Any advice on how to get that main jet out other than an easy out?  I'm thinking whatever is down there might be my problem.

giantsean

Well I tried slotting the main jet, then drilled and easy-outed it (more like hard-outed it lol).  Does not help my mission one iota, but it was satisfying as hell to hear it groan out of there.  Little brass jerk!

That all said, it wasn't gummed up at all, of course.  Looked like crap though.  I'm hoping it's 100% carb but I am starting to expect bigger problems down the way :(

rmaynard

This is the carburetor that I buy from an eBay seller called "cfamily10". Everything is SAE fitting, has the correct choke lever, and has the throttle ball.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352320498888

Edited by rmaynard
  • Thanks 1

giantsean
5 hours ago, rmaynard said:

This is the carburetor that I buy from an eBay seller called "cfamily10". Everything is SAE fitting, has the correct choke lever, and has the throttle ball.

Thanks... searching for "Kohler #26" is way better than searching for K241 carb.  I even got a better bunch of used choices.  I guess that one is the same as the one on the isavetractors site.  Must be an overall higher quality copy vs. the $20 "make-it-work" variety :)

Question - does anyone know whether a #30 carb throttle shaft will work on a #26?  Guessing the plate screw holes may be in the wrong place but I have a friend who has a spare that I can try... just kinda far to travel if it is a non-starter.

Edited by giantsean

Howie

At he place I buy parts from they are listed separately.