Jdv007

Wheel Horse Starter Switch Info

Jdv007

Greetings.  I have a 1972 Raider 14, and need to replace the starter switch. Would appreciate any help concerning what part number and where to purchase one.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

ZXT

Welcome to Red Square! I know a few people from Traverse City, and have been there once. Nice place!

Assuming the engine and everything else is original, that tractor should have a battery ignition, meaning that it has an external coil mounted on the engine. If it does, 103990 is the switch that you need.

I've bought them off of eBay before, but you can buy from wherever you like. Your local tractor supply store should have one hanging on the shelf for less than $20.

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

The original switch has 4 key positions. If you want to keep that use this switch still available from Toro. Click on the picture

Garry

pacer

I just bought one yesterday from OReilly's auto parts for $12, they usually have the one for mags too. Have also seen them at Advance - probably other parts stores ... NAPA, etc

• Like 2

Jdv007

Thanks everyone for your guidance. I need to do one last check to verify that the wire harness plug is making good contact with the switch terminals.  Maybe spray the connector with a little WD40.  Pacer, do you know the part number for the switch at O'Reilly's?

pacer

Sorry, no I dont know the # -- but should be easy to find. They have a small collection of common mower parts - 15/20? - on the end of one of the inside parts rows.

Jdv007

Several auto parts stores have the 5 connector and 3 position switches but none have the 4 position switch.

pfrederi

Unless I was doing a compete restoration and wanted perfection I would just use a normal 3 position switch.  never really understood the need for a "run without accessories" position.

• Excellent 1

Jdv007

Thanks much pfrederi...

new2horses
On 7/14/2019 at 2:15 PM, pfrederi said:

Unless I was doing a compete restoration and wanted perfection I would just use a normal 3 position switch.  never really understood the need for a "run without accessories" position.

Paul,

The XI's used a 4 position switch as did some off brand stuff. The XI uses that other position to turn on the lights. Same with the others.

David

peter lena

DIELECTRIC GREASE , is what you want for electric conductivity , not wd 40 . available at any auto part store or hardware store, use it on your ground bolt mount . pete 

adsm08
10 minutes ago, peter lena said:

DIELECTRIC GREASE , is what you want for electric conductivity , not wd 40 . available at any auto part store or hardware store, use it on your ground bolt mount . pete 

Electric grease is what you want for eclectic conductivity. It is thinner and doesn't have silicone in it.

Dielectric grease is much thicker and will last longer, but it has silicone in it and so it can act as an insulator in low-voltage connections.

Usually the distinction is only important when dealing with electrical modules, but can show weak wiring in other places.

Edited by adsm08
  • Like 1

pfrederi
3 hours ago, new2horses said:

Paul,

The XI's used a 4 position switch as did some off brand stuff. The XI uses that other position to turn on the lights. Same with the others.

David

So there was no dedicated light switch on an XL?  I suppose they saved a buck or two eliminating the separate light switch.  However the older units Chargers Raiders used the 4 position and had a separate light switch...