H_ALLEMANG

1985 314 Carburetor Reset

H_ALLEMANG

Hi all I’ve been tinkering with my 314 that has a kohler 14HP, before getting into details I was hoping someone could provide me with the instructions to set the carb after a rebuild (I haven’t rebuilt it but it’s been tweaked). Thanks!

12FA3282-8E54-4A4B-9C4D-AD7325CA549A.jpeg

gwest_ca

Your photo indicates it may be a good idea to remove some of the engine tinwork and clean the engine's cooling fins.

Operating temperature influences carburetor performance.

Garry

• Like 2

wallfish

:text-welcomeconfetti:to Redsquare

Here's what Garry is referring too. The engine blower is sucking in grass clippings and dirt which is now piled up inside and around the head of the engine. The engine cannot cool as well when the fins are covered with debris so it is running hot. Overheating of the engine will certainly shorten it's life.

12FA3282-8E54-4A4B-9C4D-AD7325CA549A.jpeg.04e571112ebdad305d34dadc4ffe022b.jpeg.34239e19789ab06606b86f8cab315811.jpeg

That's a Magnum series engine. Section 6 covers the carburetor.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

:WRS:

A bit of maintenance will increase the life of your :wh: and help make your ownership experience a pleasure.

• Like 1

H_ALLEMANG

Thanks everyone for the tips! I adjusted it per the manual and I had to tweak it some. I just got this tractor last weekend so I’m still in the process of getting it running just right. Besides the lines it leaves when mowing I need to clean off the engine too. It never starts without the choke and half throttle. The previous owner told me he had the carb rebuilt at a mower shop yet it had issues, not sure about that. I’m not a small engines guy but does this particular engine have points?

gwest_ca

If the tractor model number is 21-14K801 it should have the K321S-60424 engine which has points. Commonly referred to as battery ignition because the battery powers the ignition coil which is controlled by the points and condenser.

The tractor model and serial numbers should be on a decal under the left side of the seat.

Click on the picture for more info.

Everything we have on this model.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q="21-14K801"&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Garry

Adding

Check the tractor and engine numbers because the photo you posted looks like a voltage regulator on the blower housing and 1985 model did not have one. One way to determine the charging system is to see if the headlamps only work with the engine running.

H_ALLEMANG

Gary, the sticker on the blower housing is not legible anymore. But the serial of the tractor is 6900635 and the model number is 73403. Also the lights will work KOEO.

H_ALLEMANG

Also to add to that, my tractor is just a 314, not a 314-8. From a list I saw this was made one year only due to it being a 50th anniversary model. I’m guessing that’s the only difference between it and the -8, it just has fancy gun caps and it’s hydro.

gwest_ca

That makes a big difference.

It is a 1996 model not 1985

The model name is 314-H

It has a Magnum engine with magneto ignition and no points.

Click on the picture

Garry

H_ALLEMANG

Well now I feel silly. The hood just has “314” on it and it has those special hub caps. I didn’t really research the numbers. I cleaned up under the sheet metal but there wasn’t much of anything in there. I think I’m going to rebuild the carb and go from there. Even after mowing I have to choke it to get it started.