Rick 55 BB

uneven mower deck

Rick 55 BB

I have an 1993 520 H with a 48" deck , It has started to mow uneven ,cutting low on left side , not discharge side . I cant find the instructions on how to adjust it in the forum anywhere , probably overlooking it . I don't see any damage on the deck anywhere , I'm not the only one that mows with it "wife" , so anyhow the deck is in good shape rust wise , the spindle housings have some corrosion but nothing bad ,bearings are tight , not wobbly , blades are sharp  ,deck housing not bent anywhere I can see . My guess is something is wearing out or bending with  use . Would like to figure it out before it breaks . Any help would be appreciated . Thanks

JoeM

Rick the most over looked thing is tire pressure. Make sure they are to snuff.

And if you have a level floor you can take a few measurements side to side to the blades.

I have never seen an adjustment for side to side. The draft wheels are connected mechanically and unless the height bar is bent or loose that should not be an issue.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Stepney

Only side/side adjustment I have ever seen was on a 70's vertical shaft. Everything else is controlled by the wheels on the deck and the rear level bar.. unusual for something to happen like that. Try and line the blades up tip to tip and see if they are all inline. 

• Like 1

Lee1977
14 hours ago, Stepney said:

Only side/side adjustment I have ever seen was on a 70's vertical shaft. Everything else is controlled by the wheels on the deck and the rear level bar.. unusual for something to happen like that. Try and line the blades up tip to tip and see if they are all inline. 

Your left  front tire pressure will affect the mowing height on that side. The deck wheels should ware even. Check bar to see if it's bent. It would be easier to bend the right side down by backing into something then to bend the left side up.  Does you deck have the 1/8" thick reinforcing plate below the belt covers If not the spindle mount on the deck could be bent or cracked. 

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

wallfish
14 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Your left  front tire pressure will affect the mowing height on that side. 

Believe you meant to write "rear" tire pressure.

• Like 2

Rick 55 BB

Thanks guys , you have given me a few new things to check out , I will get back and let you all know what I find unless someone has had this same problem and found a fix for it then let me know how you did it .  

peter lena

oiluj52, agree with that tire pressure issue, had a similar experience , and after looking at everything else , it was a tire needle valve. pete 

• Like 1

Rick 55 BB

Thanks Pete , after hearing about tire pressures I checked them all and they were all a bit different but only by a couple pounds , so I evened them all to spec's . Now I will have to give it a try . It's been so hot here and I have COPD and the heat makes it unbearable for me . so it will have to wait , the grass isn't growing much right now . Thanks for the info .

Mirage276

I'm having the exact same issue, checking/fixing the tire pressures helped drastically but didn't fix it completely.  I'm in the same boat, I haven't had a chance to dig into it because its been so hot and humid and I have too many inside projects going on right now.  Will watch this thread and post if I figure anything out.  

• Like 1