SamH

Looking at non running John Deere 345

SamH

Hey guys,  was hoping I could get a little help. I have the opportunity to get a non running John Deere 345 from my employer and am wondering what a fair offer would be. It's a 1999 with around 750 hours if I'm remembering right.  It needs a rear tire, has a busted up hood and will crank but doesn't try to go any further. That's about all I know. It was donated so the company has no investment in it but Id still like to be fair. Thanks 

WHNJ701

0 to 50 bucks 

T-Mo

The 345 was a great L&G tractor.  If it's a 1999, then it should have a 20 hp Kawasaki engine.  Depending on condition of transmission, deck, sheet metal, electrical system, price could be $500-1000, give or take a couple hundred.  Again, these are great machines, power steering, hydraulic lift, heavy duty garden transmission, heavy duty frames, etc.

• Like 1

SamH

The tractor looks good aside from the hood. Looks to have been fairly well maintained for the mechanicals. Its sat in the barn at work since it was donated, but supposedly ran at that time. And I was told it was started over the winter as well. Hoping mice havent chewed the electrical, but haven't noticed any damage. Curious as to why it isn't running now if it had been previously. I gotta make a move one way or another pretty quick because my 5 yr old husqvarna just had the deck rip apart over the weekend and ive got 2 acres to mow. Not putting any more time or money into the husqvarna and am pretty excited about picking up this 345. Power steering and something more heavy duty would be great

T-Mo

First be sure it's a 1999.  A 1995-1998 will have a 18 hp Kawasaki, with the plastic cam gear.  Those seem to break at around 600 hours.  If it's indeed a 1999, then it will have a 20 hp engine with a steel cam gear.  As I mentioned, the 3X5 series are great machines - the 345 will also have liquid cooling.

On the not running part, it could be an ignition module - those do fail at times.

bds1984

The hoods, both pieces, are still available from John Deere.  I had to replace one for my mother (1999 GT235) earlier this year so I wouldn't worry about the cosmetics at all but it will be costly.  I would take a look at the ignition module/coil once you get past the basics.  They're a great machine but it'll cost you a little bit to make it right but parts can be had relatively easy from a JD dealer.  

• Like 1

SamH

Thanks for the input everyone. 

SamH

Well, got it home today, work ended up giving it to me today no charge. Cleaned the battery posts, put it on the charger and put fresh gas in it and it fired right up. Need to get a tube in the tire to make it useable and need to buy the hood to male it look nice. Couldn't be happier right now. Gonna do some mowing here in a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

bds1984

Nice. What a nice feeling it is to have it running so easily!  Hopefully you can find a hood at a decent price!

• Like 1

WHNJ701
2 hours ago, SamH said:

Well, got it home today, work ended up giving it to me today no charge. Cleaned the battery posts, put it on the charger and put fresh gas in it and it fired right up. Need to get a tube in the tire to make it useable and need to buy the hood to male it look nice. Couldn't be happier right now. Gonna do some mowing here in a bit.

see I was right with my estimate above!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ohiofarmer

We want to see pictures.

Edited by ohiofarmer

Tractorhead

Congrats to your new Machine.

Hope you did good mowing, and enjoyed the Ride.

but as allways mentioned, nothing is true without Pics... 😂