Sign in to follow this  
boovuc

C-121 Auto Rear Leak

boovuc

I have a leak on the rear of my C-121 auto right under the pumpkin. Looks as though the oil is dropping down from the case onto the hitch and then to earth.

I thought about just doing a tightening on the case bolts but..........like most things I touch, I thought I would run it past the experts.

Common causes first. Any tricks before I invariably do a 6 to 1 odds in making it worse! :drool:

I'm going to run it awaile and see how my very small axile seal leak progresses. This puppy sat awhile judging by what I'm seeing as I clean, perform maintenance an such on it now that the weather broke. This little purchase may be a rat hole for my camp poker money to run through! :omg:

Thanks in Advance!

baerpath

Check the underside of the axle tube first, I have a 520 that the axle seal is leaking, it runs along under the axle tube and then runs down the rear looking like it's leaking from the middle of the trans by looking at the floor.

Duane

boovuc

Thanks Baerpath.

I looked and it appears to really be coming from the center of the axle down. I also have that very small leak and a noticeable separation on the left axle seal. Judging by the slight water contamination on the oil change, (engine), and rust on the spark plug, (ooch)!, it did sit outside awhile.

I have the engine clean and tuned, (points, condenser, timing adjusted, new fuel and air filter and a new plug). Runs and starts solid. Now I have to look at the rear end