Stormin

Sand Skimmer

Stormin

Ransomes Sand Skimmer. Used in water treatment plants. The most unusual and weirdest machine I've ever driven. Two parts are missing. The auger on the front which skims the sand up onto an elevator that passes under the driver. The dirty sand then drops into a Ransomes dumper following behind.

post-292-0-73554200-1455910352.jpg

You steer with your feet and the throttle lever is just below my left hand. Top speed is 1mph.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sparky

Haha! I suppose at only 1mph you can’t do to much damage

SylvanLakeWH

Very cool!

Another OSHA special!!!

:eek:

Stormin
6 hours ago, Sparky said:

Haha! I suppose at only 1mph you can’t do to much damage

I wouldn't bet on it. Putting it away in my friends garage, the one with the brown door and low doorway, was nearly a disaster. As I drove in, concentrating on things on ground level, my friend shouted, "Mind you head!". Your natural instinct when some one shouts a warning, is to hit the brakes. Only these things don't have any for stopping. Steering yes. Stopping no. They have centrifugal clutches and you stop when you drop the engine revs.

When he shouted, I hit the pedals hard with both feet. The left hand brake was better than the right. The thing turned 90 degrees left before I had time to close the throttle. It came to a halt just as it started to push a compressor against the garage wall.  

No damage done though. Just a chip in my pride.

Edited by Stormin
  • Haha 4

squonk

Reminds me of the time I was driving a greens mower across a practice fairway at a golf course and hit a chuck hole. My foot hit the mower down pedal and before I could react I had full grass buckets as well as grass all over the floor and me. Not to mention a big hole in the grass on the fairway. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2