Sign in to follow this  
Pat Marchwick

520h was not starting. Solved found hidden switch!

Pat Marchwick

I spent a bunch of time trying to find out why sometimes it would start but quite after 30 seconds. Some times it would not even fire . Sometimes it would fire and run for 5 seconds. Instead of the Long story of what all I did it came down to one loose wire that fell off the thing that says the air cleaner is plugged. The switch that has a small hose from the underside if the air cleaner housing going to the backside of the dash.

what I did that was not the problem, changed out coil, changed condenser, changed plug wires, even took the top of the carb off and pulled the float and cleaned out the bowl. Only thing left to do was to set the lifter gap. And change the low oil sensor.

hope this helps somebody someday !

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

lynnmor

I don't know how that would cause the problem.  A loose wire could fall and short out the system, but that would blow the fuse.  With a loose wire and no short, the air filter lamp would simply not come on.  If there was a fault in the wiring that supplies the air filter switch, then perhaps some things will cease to function.